Emily was the top female name in the county last year — but which female names were the most popular in each state?
- Addison – Kansas, Nebraska
- Ashley – D.C.
- Ava – Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin
- Emily – California, Nevada, Texas
- Emma – Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee
- Isabella – Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York
- Madison – Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming
- Olivia – New Hampshire, Utah, Washington
- Sophia – Delaware, Hawaii, Rhode Island
About 80% of the states were topped by either Ava, Emma, Isabella or Madison (…not Emily, ironically). As far as regional preferences go, Madison reigned in the Old South whereas Ava was favored only in the north.
Here are the top boy names by state.