I find it interesting that some people are given forenames that exactly match their surnames. A few historically significant examples include:
- Henry Henry (1846-1908), Irish Catholic bishop
- James James (1833-1902), composer of the Welsh national anthem
- Morris Morris (1845-1906), Jamaican-American stage actor
- Morgan Morgan (1688-1766), early West Virginia settler
- Thomas Thomas (1804-1877), Welsh Anglican clergyman
- Thomas Thomas (1917-1998), Indian cardiothoracic surgeon
- Thomas Thomas (1880-1911), boxing champion
There are also many forename/surname sets out there that come close to matching, such as:
Have you ever met someone whose first name and last name were identical (or nearly so)? Do you like these sorts of names?
Update – I just found out about Thomas McKean Thompson McKennan, 1794-1852, who served as U.S. Secretary of the Interior for a few weeks in 1850. This is as close to a double double as I’ve ever seen.