I’ve already posted a year-by-year list of the top baby name debuts, but I thought it might be fun to look at top debut names decade-by-decade as well.
So let’s start with the ’80s.
Here are all the “100+” debut names of the 1980s. Each went from being given to fewer than 5 babies a year to suddenly being given to more than 100 babies in one particular year. (I’m ignoring the glitch names of ’89.)
- Sade: 392 baby girls in 1985
- Fallon: 232 baby girls in 1981
- Toccara: 182 baby girls in 1981
- Cordero: 173 baby boys in 1986
- Khiry: 158 baby boys in 1989
- Shardae: 129 baby girls in 1985
- Sharde: 124 baby girls in 1985
- Jaleesa: 116 baby girls in 1987
- Sharday: 100 baby girls in 1985
Not surprisingly, all nine can be traced back to pop culture:
- Sade, Shardae, Sharde & Sharday were inspired by Sade.
- Fallon was inspired by Dynasty.
- Toccara was inspired by Toccara perfume.
- Cordero was inspired by soap opera One Life to Live.
- Khiry was inspired by The Boys.
- Jaleesa was inspired by A Different World.
Which decade should we do next?