More decade-by-decade debuts!
Here are the biggest debuts of the 1970s, a follow-up to the biggest debuts of the 1980s.
These are all of the “100+” debut names — names that went from being given to fewer than 5 babies per year to suddenly being given to more than 100 babies in one particular year.
- Kizzy: 1,115 baby girls in 1977
- Nakia: 611 baby boys in 1974
- Levar: 523 baby boys in 1977
- Kunta: 215 baby boys in 1977
- Ayanna: 194 baby girls in 1971
- Azure: 121 baby girls in 1975
- Turkessa: 119 baby girls in 1975
- Cotina: 109 baby girls in 1972
- Tennille: 103 baby girls in 1975
And, again, all came from pop culture:
- Kizzy, Levar and Kunta were inspired by the TV miniseries Roots (1977).
- Nakia was inspired by short-lived TV show Nakia (1974).
- Ayanna was inspired by Ayanna, daughter of Dick Gregory.
- Azure was inspired by Azure Dee, both a character and a song (sung by Telly Savalas himself) in an episode of Kojak.
- Turkessa was inspired by Turkessa, daughter of Mary Wilson of the Supremes.
- Cotina was inspired by soap opera Where the Heart Is.
- Tennille was inspired by Captain & Tennille.