Willis and Esther Scott of Beloit, Wisconsin, welcomed twins (one boy, one girl) on the evening of September 24, 1935 — the day heavyweight boxer Joe Louis both got married to his girlfriend Marva Trotter and defeated fellow heavyweight Max Baer at Yankee Stadium.
What did they name the twins? Joseph Louis and Josephine Marva, of course.
And they weren’t the only ones to opt for Marva that year. Usage of the girl name rose significantly following the marriage:
- 1937: 343 baby girls named Marva (ranked 342nd)
- 1936: 350 baby girls named Marva (ranked 334th)
- 1935: 187 baby girls named Marva (ranked 466th)
- 1934: 74 baby girls named Marva (ranked 785th)
- 1933: 60 baby girls named Marva (ranked 873rd)
Source: “Wisconsin Twins Named After Joe Louis and Bride.” Afro-American 5 Oct. 1935: 1.