The baby name Victor is based on the Latin word victor, meaning “conqueror” (in reference to a male; the female equivalent is victrix).
Here are close to a dozen impressive people named Victor:
- Victor Ambros (1953-), American developmental biologist. Discovered micro RNA in 1993.
- Victor Babeş (1854-1926), Romanian pathologist.
- Victor P. Chang (1936-1991), Chinese-born Australian cardiac surgeon.
- Victor M. Goldschmidt (1888-1947), Swiss-born Norwegian mineralogist. Pioneer of modern geochemistry.
- Victor Grignard (1871-1935), French chemist. Discovered the Grignard reaction in 1900.
- Victor Hayes (1941-), Indonesian-born Dutch electrical engineer. Helped create Wi-Fi standards.
- Victor F. Hess (1881-1964), Austrian-American physicist. Discovered cosmic rays (high-energy radiation originating in outer space) in 1912.
- Victor A. McKusick (1921-2008), American physician and genome researcher. Pioneer of medical genetics.
- Victor E. Shelford (1877-1968), American zoologist and animal ecologist.
- Victor Vacquier (1907-2009), Russian-born American geophysicist. Found evidence to support the theory of plate tectonics in the 1950s.
- Victor F. Weisskopf (1908-2002), Austrian-American theoretical physicist.
Do you know of any other equally cool people named Victor?