Movie-inspired Rey was the girl name that debuted most impressively on the U.S. charts in 2016.
In order for a rare baby name to debut on the Social Security Administration’s annual baby name list, it has to be given to at least 5 babies of either one gender or the other within a given year.
Of all the girl names that debuted in 2016, the following were the most popular:
Other girl names that debuted were Hathaway, Dashly, Thatcher, Riverly, Wrenlee, Skaii, Yaz, Zyva, Furiosa, Kylo, Lagertha, Brilliance, Finely, Liss, Million, Tafari, Amaranth, Artist, Blessence, Caliber, Ceridwen, Curie, Flourish, Linux, Pryor, Versailles, and Veruca.
Where do these names come from? Here are a few explanations:
- Rey – from the movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Khelani – variant of Kehlani, last year’s top debut name.
- Eretria – from the TV show The Shannara Chronicles.
- Cirilla – from the video game The Witcher.
- Iselis – from the reality TV show Gran Hermano (USA version).
- Shivanya – from the TV show Naagin.
- Furiosa – from the movie Mad Max.
Can you come up with explanations for any of the others?
Here are the top girl name debuts of 2015.