According to New York City’s Department of Health, the most popular baby names in the city in 2019 were Emma and Liam.
Here are New York City’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2019:
- Emma, 497 baby girls
- Liam, 764 baby boys
How do these rankings compare to the 2019 rankings for New York state*?
- The top girl name state-wide was Olivia, not Emma.
- The top boy name was Liam for both regions.
- In the state, the girls’ top 10 didn’t include Chloe, but did include Emily.
- In the state, the boys’ top 10 didn’t include Aiden, Daniel, or David, but did include Joseph, James, and Alexander.
And how do they compare to the 2018 rankings for NYC?
- The top two names, Emma and Liam, were the same both years. (Also in 2017.)
- In 2019, Charlotte replaced Sarah in the girls’ top 10.
- In 2019, Michael replaced Alexander in the boys’ top 10.
*New York state data provided by the SSA.