How popular is the baby name Adams in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Adams and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Adams.
Over at the New York Times photojournalism blog Lens, Patrick Witty has just finished a series of blog posts about New York-area males with presidential names. In one of his posts, he says:
Some of the presidential doppelgängers I met over the past nine months were named to honor the great men who have occupied the Oval Office; others inherited the name from their fathers. Regardless, living with such a name can be a burden.
He was able to track down 11 men and one baby with the names Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, John F. Kennedy, Herbert Hoover, Calvin Coolidge, Ulysses Grant, Abraham Lincoln, John Quincy Adams, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. Interesting stuff. (The photos are cool as well.)
P.S. Ever wonder how many presidents were named after family members?
Each of the names below (including misspellings like Aloys and Willaim) only managed to rank among the 1,000 most popular U.S. baby names a single time — all during the 1890s.
- 1890 – Ethie, Fleeta, Jessye, Jetta, Sibbie
- 1891 – Idabelle, Lulla, Olar, Sylva
- 1892 – Versa
- 1893 – Allena, Cannie, Cliffie, Clotilda, Elmyra, Josefita, Lurena
- 1894 – Elfreda
- 1895 – Adel, Alleen, Trilby (influence: the book Trilby)
- 1897 – Zela, Zeta
- 1898 – Manilla (influence: Spanish-American War), Vara
- 1899 – Irva
- 1890 – Almus, Conard, Guilford, Neely, Polk, Rance, Red
- 1891 – Algot, Alphons, Barnard, Burk, Berkley, Iverson, Job, Powell, Vick
- 1892 – Burleigh, Con, Ebert, Murdock, Nolen, Willaim
- 1893 – Aubra, Avon, Bolden, Link, Thorwald
- 1894 – Alston, Audy, Donat, Emmons, Erby, Esley, Hebert, Hezzie, Hughey, Oddie, Vinton, Zed
- 1895 – Alwin, Evander, Gaither, Grafton, Guthrie, Ovila
- 1896 – Acy, Aloys, Arthor, Boysie, Cam, Hale, Lisle, Offie, Silver, Virgel, Willy
- 1897 – Dabney
- 1898 – Adams, Arba, Collier, Ewart, Gladstone, Schley, Shafter (influence: Spanish-American War)
- 1899 – Baker, Bynum, Colvin, Elizah, Griffith
Want more one-hit wonders? Here are…
- All the top-1,000 one-hit wonder baby names, decade by decade: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2005.
- Some interesting full-list one-hit wonder baby names, from all decades (this list is always growing): One Hit Wonder Baby Names.