Update, 6/21/2017: Check out the Need a Name? page.
The people have spoken! Well, not all the people. Only those people who voted in the poll that was sitting in my sidebar for about a month.
In any case, those specific people spoke. That is, they voted. And what they voted for was a weekly baby name suggestion post.
But here’s the thing: I’m not going to do in-depth suggestion posts this time around. What I’ll do instead is focus on simplified baby name requests (up to 2 sentences each) and limited baby name suggestions (up to 5 from me, and up to 5 from every commenter). My hope is that these constraints will make participation easy and fun, like a game.
Ready to play? Here are the details…
Request Baby Names
Send me requests via the contact page or via social media. Here are some examples of requests you could send:
- “I like the names Abigail, Rebecca and Catherine, but my spouse likes Allie, Ellie and Missy. What are girl names we’d both like?”
- “What are some boy names that pay tribute to Dallas, Texas? They can’t start with the letter W please.”
- “I want a girl name that makes people smile. Must sound good with the surname Jacobsen.”
- “I love circuses! Please give me boy names associated with the circus.”
- “I’m looking for a nature name for a baby boy that’s unlikely to be used for baby girls. Definitely cannot end in -a or -y.”
- “What are some traditional but unexpected boy names that start with F, G, and H? His sisters are named Sarah and Tamar.”
You don’t have to be pregnant, or even planning to get pregnant, to place a request. And you can send as many requests as you like — either separately or all in the same email.
But I’ll only accept requests for first names that make note of gender in some way. And, as I said, no more than 2 sentences per request. (No run-ons, please.)
After you’ve sent a request (or several), subscribe to the blog. That way you can keep tabs on all future Five-Name Friday posts and see which requests get featured. Will one of them be yours?
Suggest Baby Names
We can’t start suggesting names until next Friday, so I’ll hold off on these guidelines for now.
But I will say that those who try to sneak extra names into their comments should expect to see said comments “fixed” in some embarrassing way by yours truly. (I’m very much looking forward to this…)
Update, 8/30: Here’s the ever-growing Five-Name Friday archive!