According to the government of Alberta, the most popular baby names in the Canadian province in 2019 were Olivia and Noah.
Here are Alberta’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2019:
- Olivia, 229 baby girls
- Charlotte, 188
- Sophia, 181
- Emma, 178
- Ava, 161
- Amelia, 159
- Emily, 150
- Abigail, 141
- Hannah, 137
- Elizabeth, 124
- Noah, 275 baby boys
- Liam, 234
- Oliver, 225
- Ethan, 213
- Jack, 198
- William, 185
- Lucas, 174
- Owen, 167
- Benjamin, 163
- Jacob, 162
In the girls’ top 10, Hannah returned and ousted Harper.
In the boys’ top 10, Owen replaced Logan, Alexander, and James. (It’s uneven because there were two ties in the 2018 top 10.)
Rare baby names that were bestowed just once in Alberta last year include…
|Unique Girl Names||Unique Boy Names|
|Anesidora, Aviendha, Brungus, Castrence, Calluna, Doxa, Eilish, Fitia-Jane, Giannajoe, Historia, Isleigh, Jennathul, Kriscilla, Kipper, Lilith-Luna, Loonskin, Maxeld, Neepin, Ovalah, Phoemella, Ruftael, Starbrit, Tenacious, Timely, Uzuvira, Verily, Waskway, Xanthal, Yuvleen, Zsanelle||Abundance, Apollo-July, BlueJay, Couloir, Cousteau, Despot, Ellejon, Felix-Ivan, Gravity, Handsome-Jack, Humbly, Iguttaq, Iskotew, Jenzieland, Kitterick, Luxton, Maxjay, Nomatic, Ozmo, Pétain, Ranxel, Revic, Sprocket, Thundersky, Uael, Varis, Whirlwind, Xiron, Ylan-Maël, Zagger|
Explanations and/or potential influences for a few of the above:
- Aviendha was a character from Wheel of Time book series (1990-2013) by author Robert Jordan.
- Waskway is the Cree word for “birch” or “birch tree.”
- Couloir is the word for “a steep gully in alpine terrain” (from the French word for “corridor” or “hallway”).
- Iguttaq is the Inuktitut word for “bumblebee.”
- Iskotew is the Cree word for “fire.”
- Nomatic is a company that creates minimalist travel products.
- Revic (“revolutionary” + “optics”) is a company that makes rifle scopes.
(More of Alberta’s unique baby names can be found on my Patreon page!)
In 2018, the top two names in Alberta were Olivia and Liam.