According to provisional data released yesterday by the New Mexico Department of Health, the most popular baby names in the state in 2016 were Mia and Elijah.
Here are New Mexico’s projected top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2016:
On the girls’ list, Amelia replaces Aria in the top 10.
On the boys’ list, Elijah knocks Noah out of first place and Sebastian, Ethan, and Lucas replace Alexander, Gabriel and Daniel in the top 10.
The name Michael, which has been trending downward nationally for quite a while, has been on the rise in New Mexico — at least within the last few years. It ranked 10th in 2014, 4th in 2015, and now 3rd in 2016. But the SSA data paints a slightly different picture of Michael’s usage in New Mexico recently:
- 2015: Michael ranked 4th (91 baby boys) in New Mexico
- 2014: Michael ranked 5th (96 baby boys) in NM
- 2013: Michael ranked 8th (100 baby boys) in NM
- 2012: Michael ranked 15th (88 baby boys) in NM
- 2011: Michael ranked 3rd (128 baby boys) in NM
- 2010: Michael ranked 4th (125 baby boys) in NM
- 2009: Michael ranked 6th (127 baby boys) in NM
For more U.S.-specific baby name rankings, check out the U.S. name rankings subcategory.