How popular is the baby name Aries in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Aries and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Aries.
Back in 2010, Singapore’s RazorTV asked a handful of Singaporeans to reveal the weirdest names they knew. Here’s what they answered:
- Edvarcl (He was named Edvard originally, but a friend who couldn’t pronounce “Edvard” started calling him “Edvarcl,” and he liked the new name so much that he adopted it. He said some people mishear it as “Avocado.”)
- Lim Beh Song
- Johnboy (Inspired by The Waltons.)
- Marah (Means “angry” in Malay.)
- Yttrium (Has an older brother with an element name as well.)
A more recent article about unusual names in Singapore mentioned Singaporean siblings named Pebble, Boulder and Coral. Their father, Rocky, was a landscape specialist who “thought it would be cool to name them after [his] work.”
Somewhat related: English Names in China – Frog, Dollar, Samanfar, Smacker
Sources: Unique Names Pt 1 [vid], Unique Names Pt 2 [vid], Unique Names Pt 3 [vid], Singaporeans stand out with unique names
Estelle wrote to me recently with a tall order:
I’m having quads (!!!) in 4 weeks and I need names! I’m having one boy and three girls. My 4 year old son’s name is Cosmo. My husband and I like spacey, whimsical and weird names.
In fact, they “don’t have any limits on how weird a name can be.”
One girl name they’re considering is Ione, which is a family name.
The combination of Cosmo and the adjective “spacey” made me think of star and constellation names right off the bat:
One nice thing about these is that several together probably wouldn’t scream “star names” to the average person. Unlike, say, a group of flower names. (Though I’m sure stargazers would catch on pretty quickly.)
And here’s what we have for non-galactic suggestions:
Those were the girl names, these are the boy names:
What other whimsical names can you come up with for Estelle? And, can you put together any good combinations of 1 boy and 3 girl names?
Update: The babies have arrived! Scroll down to see what names Estelle selected.
Which astrological signs would make the best baby names?
- Leo, which has ranked among the top 500 baby names in the U.S. every year for the last 127 years,
- Taurus, which ranked in the top 1,000 from 1973 through 1976, and
- Aries, which has never ranked, but has been used anecdotally (e.g., MADtv comedian Aries Spears).
I also think Libra has some potential, though I’ve never actually met anyone named Libra before.