How popular is the baby name Baker in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, check out all the blog posts that mention the name Baker.
Which boy names increased the most in popularity from 2017 to 2018?
In this post we’ll answer the question two different ways: first by looking at the top absolute (raw number) rises, second by looking at the top relative rises.
Fastest Rising Boy Names: Absolute
- Theodore, +1,070 baby boys
- Liam, +1,039
- Asher, +772
- Leo, +769
- Hudson, +759
- Gael, +686
- Ezra, +680
- Luca, +507
- Carson, +487
- Milo, +487
Fastest Rising Boy Names: Relative
- Atreus, +1888% (from 8 to 159 baby boys)
- Emric, +843%
- Nahmir, +820%
- Deluca, +420%
- Jiren, +400%
- Nihit, +360%
- Daire, +350%
- Dayveon, +350%
- Syre, +346%
- Kaelum, +340%
(This second list only accounts for names that appeared in the data both years; I’ll be posting the 2018 debut names separately.)
Do you have any explanations for any of the name movement above? If so, please comment!
P.S. Here’s the SSA’s table of baby names that increased in rank from 2017 to 2018. The top boy names on their list are Genesis, Saint, and Baker.
Each of the names below (including misspellings like Aloys and Willaim) only managed to rank among the 1,000 most popular U.S. baby names a single time — all during the 1890s.
- 1890 – Ethie, Fleeta, Jessye, Jetta, Sibbie
- 1891 – Idabelle, Lulla, Olar, Sylva
- 1892 – Versa
- 1893 – Allena, Cannie, Cliffie, Clotilda, Elmyra, Josefita, Lurena
- 1894 – Elfreda
- 1895 – Adel, Alleen, Trilby (influence: the book Trilby)
- 1897 – Zela, Zeta
- 1898 – Manilla (influence: Spanish-American War), Vara
- 1899 – Irva
- 1890 – Almus, Conard, Guilford, Neely, Polk, Rance, Red
- 1891 – Algot, Alphons, Barnard, Burk, Berkley, Iverson, Job, Powell, Vick
- 1892 – Burleigh, Con, Ebert, Murdock, Nolen, Willaim
- 1893 – Aubra, Avon, Bolden, Link, Thorwald
- 1894 – Alston, Audy, Donat, Emmons, Erby, Esley, Hebert, Hezzie, Hughey, Oddie, Vinton, Zed
- 1895 – Alwin, Evander, Gaither, Grafton, Guthrie, Ovila
- 1896 – Acy, Aloys, Arthor, Boysie, Cam, Hale, Lisle, Offie, Silver, Virgel, Willy
- 1897 – Dabney
- 1898 – Adams, Arba, Collier, Ewart, Gladstone, Schley, Shafter (influence: Spanish-American War)
- 1899 – Baker, Bynum, Colvin, Elizah, Griffith
Want more one-hit wonders? Here are…
- All the top-1,000 one-hit wonder baby names, decade by decade: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2005.
- Some interesting full-list one-hit wonder baby names, from all decades (this list is always growing): One Hit Wonder Baby Names.