Yuvin was the boy name that debuted most impressively on the U.S. charts in 2016.
In order for a rare baby name to debut on the Social Security Administration’s annual baby name list, it has to be given to at least 5 babies of either one gender or the other within a given year.
Of all the boy names that debuted in 2016, the following were the most popular:
Other boy names that debuted were Eadric, Barkot, Dansby, Bexar, Calcifer, Maccabee, Naz, Grizzly, Hirving, Isco, Mox, Rizzo, Astro, Crown, December, Krash, October, Olivander, Pinny, Range, Chrisander, Hux, Kloud, Klutch, Luffy, Nexus, Ocelotl, Ozlo, Quigley, and Wilco.
Where do these names come from? Here are a few explanations/guesses:
- Kaulder – from the movie The Last Witch Hunter.
- Negan – from the TV show The Walking Dead.
- Shivaay – from the movie Shivaay.
- Dansby – from baseball player Dansby Swanson.
- Calcifer – from the book/movie character created by author Diana Wynne Jones…?
- Hirving – from Mexican footballer Hirving Lozano.
- Isco – from Spanish footballer Isco (real name Francisco Alarcón Suárez).
- Rizzo – from baseball player Anthony Rizzo.
- Wilco – from the ’90s alt-rock band…?
Do you know what events/people might have inspired the others? (I’m especially curious about Bento. It’s making me hungry…)
Here are the top boy name debuts of 2015.