How popular is the baby name Cam in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Cam and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Cam.
Nathan and Kathy Brewer didn’t make it to St. Vincent Health Center in Erie, Pennsylvania, in time for the birth of their son on 31 Dec. 2010.
Instead, the baby boy was born in their Toyota Camry, which they’d hastily parked in the center median close to the campus of Penn State Erie, The Behrend College.
They considered naming the baby Cam for Camry and Otto for “auto” before settling on Asher Behrend Brewer.
Sources: Pa. baby named for nearby college after car birth, Behrend: Baby named after campus
- 1890 – Ethie, Fleeta, Jessye, Jetta, Sibbie
- 1891 – Idabelle, Lulla, Olar, Sylva
- 1892 – Versa
- 1893 – Allena, Cannie, Cliffie, Clotilda, Elmyra, Josefita, Lurena
- 1894 – Elfreda
- 1895 – Adel, Alleen, Trilby (influence: the book Trilby)
- 1897 – Zela, Zeta
- 1898 – Manilla (influence: Spanish-American War), Vara
- 1899 – Irva
- 1890 – Almus, Conard, Guilford, Neely, Polk, Rance, Red
- 1891 – Algot, Alphons, Barnard, Burk, Berkley, Iverson, Job, Powell, Vick
- 1892 – Burleigh, Con, Ebert, Murdock, Nolen, Willaim
- 1893 – Aubra, Avon, Bolden, Link, Thorwald
- 1894 – Alston, Audy, Donat, Emmons, Erby, Esley, Hebert, Hezzie, Hughey, Oddie, Vinton, Zed
- 1895 – Alwin, Evander, Gaither, Grafton, Guthrie, Ovila
- 1896 – Acy, Aloys, Arthor, Boysie, Cam, Hale, Lisle, Offie, Silver, Virgel, Willy
- 1897 – Dabney
- 1898 – Adams, Arba, Collier, Ewart, Gladstone, Schley, Shafter (influence: Spanish-American War)
- 1899 – Baker, Bynum, Colvin, Elizah, Griffith
Each of the above names (and near-names, like Aloys and Willaim) only managed to rank among the 1,000 most popular U.S. baby names a single time — hence the “one-hit wonder” label. :)
All one-hit wonder lists: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.