How popular is the baby name Cam in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Cam and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Cam.
Nathan and Kathy Brewer didn’t make it to St. Vincent Health Center in Erie, Pennsylvania, in time for the birth of their son on 31 Dec. 2010.
Instead, the baby boy was born in their Toyota Camry, which they’d hastily parked in the center median close to the campus of Penn State Erie, The Behrend College.
They considered naming the baby Cam for Camry and Otto for “auto” before settling on Asher Behrend Brewer.
Sources: Pa. baby named for nearby college after car birth, Behrend: Baby named after campus
Each of the names below (including misspellings like Aloys and Willaim) only managed to rank among the 1,000 most popular U.S. baby names a single time — all during the 1890s.
- 1890 – Ethie, Fleeta, Jessye, Jetta, Sibbie
- 1891 – Idabelle, Lulla, Olar, Sylva
- 1892 – Versa
- 1893 – Allena, Cannie, Cliffie, Clotilda, Elmyra, Josefita, Lurena
- 1894 – Elfreda
- 1895 – Adel, Alleen, Trilby (influence: the book Trilby)
- 1897 – Zela, Zeta
- 1898 – Manilla (influence: Spanish-American War), Vara
- 1899 – Irva
- 1890 – Almus, Conard, Guilford, Neely, Polk, Rance, Red
- 1891 – Algot, Alphons, Barnard, Burk, Berkley, Iverson, Job, Powell, Vick
- 1892 – Burleigh, Con, Ebert, Murdock, Nolen, Willaim
- 1893 – Aubra, Avon, Bolden, Link, Thorwald
- 1894 – Alston, Audy, Donat, Emmons, Erby, Esley, Hebert, Hezzie, Hughey, Oddie, Vinton, Zed
- 1895 – Alwin, Evander, Gaither, Grafton, Guthrie, Ovila
- 1896 – Acy, Aloys, Arthor, Boysie, Cam, Hale, Lisle, Offie, Silver, Virgel, Willy
- 1897 – Dabney
- 1898 – Adams, Arba, Collier, Ewart, Gladstone, Schley, Shafter (influence: Spanish-American War)
- 1899 – Baker, Bynum, Colvin, Elizah, Griffith
Want more one-hit wonders? Here are…
- All the top-1,000 one-hit wonder baby names, decade by decade: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2005.
- Some interesting full-list one-hit wonder baby names, from all decades (this list is always growing): One Hit Wonder Baby Names.
Did you know that a handful of baby names happen to be palindromes? Here are some names that can be read the same way in either direction (i.e. both forwards and backwards):
Two of these, Hannah and Ava, happen to be very popular for baby girls at the moment.
Need two names? You could consider a pair of names that become a palindrome when written side-by-side (i.e., names that are anagrams of one another):
Aidan & Nadia
Aileen & Neelia
Alan & Nala
Allan & Nalla
Allen & Nella
Amin & Nima
Ariel & Leira
Arik & Kira
Aron & Nora
Avram & Marva
Axel & Lexa
Aydan & Nadya
Ari & Ira
Cam & Mac
Eliah & Haile
Eliam & Maile
Ellen & Nelle
Etan & Nate
Flor & Rolf
Gem & Meg
Iris & Siri
Leon & Noel
Linus & Sunil
Miles & Selim
Nazar & Razan
Nero & Oren
It’s also possible to come up with your own palindromic pairs by flipping traditional names to create brand new names. For instance, I’ve seem James, Kevin, Manuel and Ramon flipped to become Semaj, Nivek, Leunam and Nomar.