How popular is the baby name Chance in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Chance and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Chance.
It’s time for the annual Pop Culture Baby Name Game!
This year we’re kicking things off January 8th, the birthday of Elvis Presley! (He was born in 1935 and would have been 83 today.)
So how do you play the game? Just brainstorm for baby names that could have gotten a boost in usage in 2017 thanks to the influence popular culture: movies, music, television, social media, video games, sports, politics, products, trends, and so forth.
Here are the names we’ve come up with so far:
- Amilyn – movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi (stolen from Abby)
- Antiope – movie Wonder Woman
- Asahd – son of DJ Khaled (suggested by alex)
- Asperitas – a new type of cloud (suggested by elbowin)
- Bea – rumored Beyoncé baby name
- Bear – son of Liam Payne
- Bilquis – TV show American Gods
- Callum – move Assassin’s Creed
- Cardi – rapper Cardi B
- Carter – son of Beyoncé and Jay-Z (suggested by elbowin)
- Chance – Chance The Rapper
- Creeley – TV show Damnation
- Darci Lynne – winner of America’s Got Talent
- Eclipse – August solar eclipse
- Eissa – son of Janet Jackson
- Eleven – TV show Stranger Things
- Fatima – 100th anniversary of Marian apparitions
- Fenty – Rihanna’s company Fenty Beauty
- Gal – actress Gal Godot
- Gravity – daughter of fashion models Lucky Blue Smith (male) and Stormi Bree (female)
- Grover – fictional baby born on TV show Girls
- Halley – fictional baby born on TV show Big Bang Theory
- Harvey – hurricane
- Hela – movie Thor: Ragnarok
- Irma – hurricane
- Issa Rae – actress Issa Rae
- Jacinda – New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern
- Jumanji – movie Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- Jyn – movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Kelsea – singer Kelsea Ballerini
- Kendrick – rapper Kendrick Lamar
- Kensli – daughter of Chance the Rapper (suggested by alex)
- Kenzo – son of Kevin Hart
- Laureline – movie Valerian
- Libratus – artificial intelligence (suggested by elbowin)
- Mahershala – actor Mahershala Ali
- Maren – singer Maren Morris
- Mika – news presenter Mika Brzezinski (suggested by alex)
- Ovince – MMA competitor Ovince Saint Preux
- Poppy – singer Poppy
- Ragnarok – movie Thor: Ragnarok
- Revel – son of actors Matthew and Renee Morrison
- Rumi – daughter of Beyoncé and Jay-Z
- Saffie – victim of Manchester bombing (suggested by elbowin)
- Sally – former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates
- Saoirse – actress Saoirse Ronan
- Shadow – TV show American Gods
- Shawn – rumored Beyoncé baby name
- Shayla – beauty influencer Shayla Mitchell
- Sir – son of Beyoncé and Jay-Z
- Sonequa – actress Sonequa Martin-Green
- Sovereign – daughter of Cam Newton
- Strummer – son of Julia Stiles
- Sturgill – musician Sturgill Simpson
- Sza – singer SZA
- Tenney – doll/character Tenney Grant (full name: “Tennyson Evangeline”)
- Totality – August solar eclipse
- Valerian – movie Valerian
- Valkyrie – movie Thor: Ragnarok
- Yulin – San Juan mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz (suggested by elbowin)
- Zaya – movie Gods of Egypt (stolen from Maybe it is Daijirō)
- Zelle – payment app
Have any additions to make? Comment below! Just don’t forget to mention the pop culture influence.
The SSA will release the next batch of baby name data in May, so I will post the results to the game a few days after that 2017 data becomes available.
If you don’t want to miss the results post, please subscribe to NBN by entering your email address into the “Get New Posts via Email” form in the sidebar.
P.S. Have some ideas for 2018? Comment with those too — I’ll add them to next year’s game. One addition I just made: Grayson, for the winter storm. (Here’s a Massachusetts baby named Grayson, and a Maine baby possibly named Grayson.)
According to data from Retraite Québec, the most popular baby names in Quebec in 2015 were Emma and Thomas/William (tied).
Here are the province’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2015:
1. Emma, 615 baby girls
2. Léa, 535
3. Olivia, 475
4. Alice, 471
5. Florence, 460
6. Zoe, 429
7. Chloe, 398
8. Beatrice, 390
9. Charlotte, 381
10. Rosalie, 350
1. Thomas, 754 baby boys
2. William, 754 baby boys
3. Jacob, 663
4. Liam, 661
5. Félix, 638
6. Nathan, 630
7. Samuel, 583
8. Logan, 576
9. Alexis, 554
10. Noah, 537
In 2015, Emma replaced Lea as the top girl name, William joined Thomas as the top boy name, Beatrice replaced Charlie in the girls’ top 10, and Noah replaced Olivier in the boy’s top 10. (Here are the 2014 rankings.)
[UPDATE, May 2017 – The Quebec rankings for 2015 have since been updated and it looks like William has pulled ahead of Thomas to become the sole #1 name.]
Of all 9,096 girl names on Quebec’s list in 2015, 74.5% of them were used a single time. Here are some of the unique girl names:
- Allegresse – the French word allégresse means “joy, elation.”
- Confiance – the French word confiance means “confidence, trust.”
- Exaucee – the French verb exaucer means “to grant a wish.”
- Flory Comfort
- Garance – the French word garance refers to a shade of red created from the root of the madder plant.
- Glad Marie
- Graytchelle Mayssa – a Gretchen + Rachel smoosh?
- Happy Moussoni
- Luneve – reminds me of Leneve.
- M Mah Bourgeois
- Mingolou Oracle-Kidj
- Paphaelle – typo?
- Praise Peter
- Relilah – typo?
- Symphony Melody
- Uri Wonder
- Winola – this one reminds me of early 20th-century America.
Of all 7,920 boy names on Quebec’s list in 2015, 76.5% of them were bestowed just once. Here are some of the unique boy names:
- Appamatta – the Pali word appamatta means “diligent, careful.”
- Bradley Prague
- Brady Bullet – this one reminds me of modern America (e.g. Shooter, Trigger).
- Cedrick Wolynsky
- Chrysolithe – a type of gem (a.k.a. peridot).
- Diamond-Heliodor – two more gems.
- Drake Luke
- Elliottt – the only triple T’s in the U.S. data so far are Mattthew and Britttany. Probably typos, but you never know.
- Exauce – the masculine form of Exaucee.
- Garnet – another gem.
- Gningnery Yoshua
- Icky Neymar
- Iola Stevie
- Jimmy Johnny
- Michael Antares – reminds me of an earlier Antares.
- Napesis – the Cree word napesis means “boy” or “little boy.”
- Rowdy Chance
- Tysaiah Jay
- Whidjley Densly
- Woobs Therly
For more sets of rankings, check out the name rankings category.
Source: Retraite Québec – List of Baby Names
Like baby names that are short and sweet? Here are over 100 one-syllable boy names:
Blaine, Blayne, Blane
Jace, Jayce, Jase
Lane, Layne, Laine
Reece, Reese, Rhys
Sean, Shawn, Shaun
Zack, Zach, Zac
Zane, Zain, Zayne
Have any favorites?
P.S. Here are the most popular 1-syllable boy names of 2012, 2011 and 2010.