How popular is the baby name Creighton in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, check out all the blog posts that mention the name Creighton.
We know what the top names in the country were last year, but what about the top names in each state? Here’s the list, released just yesterday by the SSA. I’ve also included each state’s most popular unique names (i.e., names that only appeared in the data for that particular state).
|State||Top Names (f & m)||Top Unique Names (f & m)|
|Alabama||Ava & William||Crimson & Kendarius, Walton (tie)|
|Alaska||Aurora & Oliver||(none) & Paxson|
|Arizona||Emma & Liam||Sedona & Yadier|
|Arkansas||Ava & Noah||(none) & Timber|
|California||Emma & Noah||Ani & Aram|
|Colorado||Olivia & Liam||Vail & Redding|
|Connecticut||Olivia & Noah||(none) & (none)|
|Delaware||Ava & Liam||(none) & (none)|
|D.C.||Ava & William||(none) & (none)|
|Florida||Isabella & Liam||Abigaelle & Miron|
|Georgia||Ava & William||Kaylei & Taylin|
|Hawaii||Emma & Liam||Mahina & Kaimana|
|Idaho||Olivia & Liam||Quincey & Roczen|
|Illinois||Olivia & Noah||Jamaya & Laron|
|Indiana||Emma & Oliver||Dawt, Elma (tie) & Jamin|
|Iowa||Harper & Oliver||Huxley & Kinnick|
|Kansas||Olivia & Liam||Macklyn & Creighton, Whit (tie)|
|Kentucky||Emma & William||Annlee, Terri (tie) & Jansen|
|Louisiana||Ava & Noah||Jaicee, Jersi (tie) & Colston|
|Maine||Oliver & Charlotte||(none) & (none)|
|Maryland||Ava & Liam||Anjolaoluwa & Adon, Murtaza (tie)|
|Massachusetts||Emma & Benjamin||Vittoria & Henrique|
|Michigan||Olivia & Noah||Layal & Eldon|
|Minnesota||Evelyn & Henry||Maida & Muhsin|
|Mississippi||Ava & John||Swayze & Jadarius|
|Missouri||Olivia & Liam||Charlea & Daxten, Zebulun (tie)|
|Montana||Harper & Liam||(none) & (none)|
|Nebraska||Olivia & Liam||(none) & (none)|
|Nevada||Emma & Liam||(none) & (none)|
|New Hampshire||Olivia & Oliver ||(none) & (none)|
|New Jersey||Emma & Liam||Tzipora & Binyomin|
|New Mexico||Isabella & Noah||(none) & (none)|
|New York||Emma & Liam||Gitty & Mendel|
|North Carolina||Ava & Noah||Holden & Nahmir|
|North Dakota||Olivia & Oliver||(none) & (none)|
|Ohio||Ava & Liam||Wilma & Grayden|
|Oklahoma||Emma & Liam||Dim, Jadyn (tie) & Thang|
|Oregon||Emma & Oliver||Runa & (none)|
|Pennsylvania||Emma & Liam||Barbie, Surah (tie) & Joniel|
|Rhode Island||Amelia, Olivia (tie) & Liam||(none) & (none)|
|South Carolina||Ava & William||Emmagrace, Mills (tie) & Drayton, Mills (tie)|
|South Dakota||Harper & Grayson, Henry, Liam (3-way tie)||(none) & Ryken|
|Tennessee||Emma & William||Annaclaire, Caylen, Eulalia, Jakyra, Kamri, Parthenia, Tamari, Tylee (8-way tie) & Neyland|
|Texas||Emma & Liam||Jessi & Eliud|
|Utah||Olivia & Oliver||Mable & Ammon|
|Vermont||Harper & Oliver||(none) & (none)|
|Virginia||Ava & William||Tyasia & Alexi, Javonte, Mckinley (3-way tie)|
|Washington||Olivia & Liam||Callista & Ruvim|
|West Virginia||Emma & Mason||(none) & Bransen|
|Wisconsin||Evelyn & Oliver||(none) & Broxton, Kelby (tie)|
|Wyoming||Amelia, Emma (tie) & Oliver||(none) & (none)|
A few final thoughts…
- I love that Aurora is now #1 in Alaska. :)
- What’s up with Wilma in Ohio? Nine baby girls is nearly a quarter (23%) of the total national usage. Interesting.
- One of the other unique Utah boy names was Kaladin, which comes from a character in the Stormlight Archive book series by Utah-based fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson.
How about you — what are your thoughts/observations?
Which baby names are the most disproportionately popular in each U.S. state?
Name blog Republic of Names has your answer — a bunch of cool lists of the most distinctive baby names by state. Here are some highlights for about half of the states.
- Crimson – Crimson Tide is the University of Alabama football team.
- Denali – Denali (Mount McKinley) in Alaska is North America’s highest peak.
- Nizhoni – Nizhóní is a Navajo word meaning “it/he/she is pretty/beautiful.”
- Sedona – Sedona is a city in Arizona.
- Eztli – Eztli is a Nahuatl (Aztec) word meaning “blood.”
- Trindon – Trindon Holliday played pro football in Colorado.
- Kinnick – Kinnick Stadium is where the Iowa Hawkeyes football team plays.
- Marigny – Foubourg Marigny is a New Orleans neighborhood.
- Baxter – Baxter is a state park in Maine.
In North Carolina:
In North Dakota:
- Autzen – Autzen Stadium is where the Oregon Ducks football team plays.
- Avenir – Avenir is a French word meaning “future.” It’s also on the Washington state list below. In fact, nearly two-thirds of last year’s Avenirs were born on the west coast: 10 in Washington, 7 in California, 5 in Oregon. Anyone know why?
- Brazos – Brazos is a Spanish word meaning “arms.” The Brazos River in Texas was originally called Rio de los Brazos de Dios, or “River of the Arms of God.”
- Korver – Kyle Korver played pro basketball in Utah.
In Washington, D.C.:
In Washington (state):
- Avenir – see Oregon
In West Virginia:
See the original post for the rest. You might also be interested in checking out the “most regional” baby names in the US.
Update, 5/31/2018: Figured out Avenir!
I’m currently in Mississippi visiting family. We’ve been driving around a lot, so I’ve had enough downtime to thumb through most of the phone book. Here are some interesting names from the nearby towns of New Augusta, Ovett, Pittman, Poplarville and Purvis:
I’ve also noticed what seems to be a disproportionately high number of Rhondas in these towns and in others. (That’s right–more of this tomorrow! I know you’re excited.)