How popular is the baby name Danzig in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Danzig and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Danzig.
A baby boy born in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, in early February was named “Iron Maiden” after the British heavy metal band:
His father was particularly inspired by Iron Maiden’s gruesome, zombie-like mascot Eddie the Head.
Which prompts me to ask the obvious question: Why not just name the baby “Eddie”?
On the other hand, I kinda wish both parents had a “Duran” to contribute to the surname, because then you’d have Iron Maiden Duran Duran.
Some related names and almost-names: Danzig, Metallica, Vedder, Cobain, Reznor, Motor Head.
Sources: Padres llaman a su hijo Iron Maiden, Bolivian Couple Explain Decision To Name Son Iron Maiden
Love 1990s pop culture? Love names? Check out this list!
Out of the more than 17,000 baby names that debuted on the charts from 1990 to 1999 (inclusive), here are 10 that are particularly symbolic of the decade. All 10 are legit!
- Keanu. The baby name Keanu, inspired by actor Keanu Reeves, debuted on the baby name charts in 1990. (Hopefully he’s no longer sad now that he’s #1 on this list.)
- Aniston. The baby name Aniston, inspired by Friends actress Jennifer Aniston, debuted on the baby name charts in 1998.
- Macauley. The baby name Macauley, inspired by Home Alone actor Macaulay Culkin, debuted on the baby name charts in 1991.
- Lestat. The baby name Lestat, inspired by Anne Rice vampire Lestat de Lioncourt, debuted on the baby name charts in 1995.
- Beyonce. The baby name Beyonce, inspired by R&B/pop singer Beyoncé, debuted on the baby name charts in 1998.
- Quindon. The baby name Quindon, inspired by Romeo + Juliet actor/singer Quindon Tarver, debuted on the baby name charts in 1996.
- Draven. The baby name Draven, inspired by The Crow character Eric Draven, debuted on the baby name charts in 1994.
- Mufasa. The baby name Mufasa, inspired by the Lion King character, debuted on the baby name charts in 1995.
- Jamiroquai. The baby name Jamiroquai, inspired by the band Jamiroquai, debuted on the baby name charts in 1998.
- Nomar. The baby name Nomar, inspired by baseball player Nomar Garciaparra, debuted on the baby name charts in 1998.
Runners-up: Anakin, Danzig, Simba and Zhane.
Do YOU have any favorite ’90s baby names?
P.S. Here are my 10 favorite uniquely ’70s and ’80s baby names.
Once upon a time, MTV played music videos. (Crazy, I know!) And, during that era — in 1993 and 1994 specifically — one of the videos they aired a lot was the video for Danzig’s song “Mother ’93.”
“Mother ’93” became Danzig’s highest-charting single, peaking at #43 on Billboard‘s Hot 100 in April of 1994. The same year, we see the baby name Danzig pop up for the first time on the SSA’s baby name list:
- 1993: not listed
- 1994: 7 baby boys with the name Danzig [debut]
- 1995: not listed
The heavy metal band takes its name from vocalist Glenn Danzig. Glenn was born with the surname Anzalone; I’m not sure why he chose Danzig (the German name of the Polish city Gdansk) for his stage name.
The baby name Danzig disappeared from the national list for a few years, but has since reappeared (just like other ’90s alt-rock names). Last year, 5 baby boys were named Danzig.
What are your thoughts on the name Danzig?
A couple of weeks ago, I published lists baby boy names and baby girl names that ranked outside of the SSA’s official top 1,000, but were still given to 100+ babies in the U.S. in 2009.
Since then, I’ve had time to peruse the rest of the names on the SSA’s full list–those 12,811 boy names and 17,993 girl names given to at least five but no more than 99 babies last year.
Here are some highlights from the boys’ list:
- Myson (21) – My son
- Kingjames (11)
- Myking (10) – My king
- Brandonlee (8)
- Victorhugo (8)
- Kingdavid (5)
- Myheir (5) – My heir
- Siranthony (5)
- Sirmichael (5)
- Reydavid (5)
- Seven (86)
- Amillion (16)
- Trillion (10)
- Million (7)
- Ziggy (39)
- Danzig (13)
- Reznor (9)
- Vedder (6)
- Cobain (5)
- Gehrig (33)
- Raider (15)
- Polo (12)
- Espn (6)
- Fenway (5)
- Jetli (5)
- Samurai (5)
- Wanderlei (5) and Vanderlei (5)
- Shooter (27)
- Trigger (15)
- Caliber (7)
- The Catcher (8) in the Rye (22)
- Smith (47) & Wesson (42)
- Supreme (11) Court (9)
Reflections of modern values?
- Famous (10)
- Gamble (10)
- Chaos (9)
- Furious (6)
- Money (5)
- Notorious (5)
- Bronx (74) – Mowgli
- Tuff (28) – Cream puff [conditional upon ruffness]
- Trapper (25) – Keeper
- Pilot (19) – Inspektor
- Crimson (16) – Tide
- Epic (11) – Fail
On to the girl names…