How popular is the baby name David in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, check out all the blog posts that mention the name David.
According to New York City’s Department of Health, the most popular baby names in the city in 2019 were Emma and Liam.
Here are New York City’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2019:
- Emma, 497 baby girls
- Liam, 764 baby boys
How do these rankings compare to the 2019 rankings for New York state*?
- The top girl name state-wide was Olivia, not Emma.
- The top boy name was Liam for both regions.
- In the state, the girls’ top 10 didn’t include Chloe, but did include Emily.
- In the state, the boys’ top 10 didn’t include Aiden, Daniel, or David, but did include Joseph, James, and Alexander.
And how do they compare to the 2018 rankings for NYC?
- The top two names, Emma and Liam, were the same both years. (Also in 2017.)
- In 2019, Charlotte replaced Sarah in the girls’ top 10.
- In 2019, Michael replaced Alexander in the boys’ top 10.
Source: Oh Baby! The Names Emma and Liam Are Tops for Tots in 2019 – NYC Health
*New York state data provided by the SSA.
According to Statistics Austria, the most popular baby names in the country in 2019 were Emma and Maximilian.
Here are Austria’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2019:
- Emma, 766 baby girls
- Anna, 761
- Emilia, 694
- Marie, 662
- Mia, 635
- Lena, 610
- Laura, 605
- Johanna, 533
- Lea, 530
- Valentina, 519
- Maximilian, 841 baby boys
- Paul, 802
- Jakob, 799
- David, 772
- Felix, 732
- Elias, 728
- Lukas, 712
- Jonas, 673
- Alexander, 663
- Leon, 655
In the girls’ top 10, Lea replaces Sophia.
In the boys’ top 10, Jonas replaces Tobias.
In 2018, the top two names were Anna and Paul.
Sources: First Names of newborn babies 2019, Emma und Maximilian waren 2019 die beliebtesten Babynamen
According to Statistics Faroe Islands, the most popular baby names last year in the Faroe Islands — the North Atlantic archipelago that belongs to Denmark — were Anna and Jónas.
Here are the Faroe Islands’ top 10+ girl names and top 10+ boy names of 2019:
- Anna, 9 baby girls
- Eva, 7 (two-way tie)
- Lea, 7 (two-way tie)
- Maria, 6 (three-way tie)
- Mia, 6 (three-way tie)
- Vón, 6 (three-way tie)
- Based on an Old Norse word meaning “hope.”
- Alda, 5 (three-way tie)
- Elsa, 5 (three-way tie)
- Olivia, 5 (three-way tie)
- Emma, 4 (three-way tie)
- Liva, 4 (three-way tie)
- Rósa, 4 (three-way tie)
- Jónas, 9 baby boys
- Óðin, 8
- Benjamin, 6 (three-way tie)
- Magnus, 6 (three-way tie)
- Rókur, 6 (three-way tie)
- Based on an Old Norse name meaning “crow, rook.”
- Adrian, 5 (four-way tie)
- Baldur, 5 (four-way tie)
- Boas, 5 (four-way tie)
- Jósef, 5 (four-way tie)
- Ari, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Bragi, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Based on an Old Norse word meaning “the best, foremost” or “poetry.” Also the Norse god of poetry.
- Dávid, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Hugin, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Based on an Old Norse word meaning “mind, spirit, thought.”
- Jákup, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Jóhan, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Jón, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Markus, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Milan, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Nóa, 4 (eleven-way tie)
- Villiam, 4 (eleven-way tie)
Some of the other baby names bestowed in the Faroe Islands in 2019 include…
- Brima (f) “surf, surge” in Old Norse
- Døgg (f) “dew”
- Glóa (f) “to glow, to shine, to glitter”
- Gylta (f) “young sow”
- Gylvi (m) “roaring sea, heavy sea”
- Hjalti (m) “man from Hjaltland“
- Tjálvi (m) “one who encompasses, keeps together”
- Treysti (m) “trusty”
- Ýr (f) “yew tree, bow”
Sources: Statistics Faroe Islands (via Reddit), Faroe Islands – Wikipedia, Nordic Names
P.S. Denmark has a total of two overseas territories: the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
According to data from the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (FSO), the most popular baby names in Switzerland in 2019 were Mia and Liam.
Here are the country’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2019:
- Mia, 434 baby girls
- Emma, 401
- Sofia, 341
- Lara, 312
- Emilia, 310
- Mila, 298
- Lina, 294
- Lia, 292
- Lena, 280
- Anna, 276
- Liam, 443 baby boys
- Noah, 437
- Matteo, 360
- Gabriel, 340
- Luca, 336
- Leon, 318
- Elias, 314
- Louis, 312
- David, 264
- Samuel, 252
In the girls’ top 10, Lara, Lina and Lia replace Lea, Elena and Laura.
In the boys’ top 10, Samuel replaces Ben.
Here are the top baby names within each of Switzerland’s main language groups:
- German speakers (63% of the population): Mia and Noah
- French speakers (23%): Emma and Liam
- Italian speakers (8%): Sofia and Leonardo
- Romansh speakers (under 1%): Lina and Elia/Finn/Luca (3-way tie)
In 2018, the top names in the country overall were Emma and Liam.
Sources: Vornamen der Neugeborenen, Revealed: Switzerland’s most popular baby names, Mia, Emma, Liam, Noah: the most popular baby names of 2019
Yesterday we looked at some of the latest girl name data, so today let’s check in on the 2019 boy names…
Here are the most popular boy names overall:
- Liam, 20,502 baby boys
- Noah, 19,048
- Oliver, 13,891
- William, 13,542
- Elijah, 13,300
- James, 13,087
- Benjamin, 12,942
- Lucas, 12,412
- Mason, 11,408
- Ethan, 11,241
Ethan kicked Logan out of the top 10 last year. (Logan is now ranked 16th.)
The boy names that saw the largest increases in usage in terms of absolute numbers of babies were…
- Brooks, increased by 1,114 babies
- Miles, 860
- Legend, 832
- Luca, 797
- Theodore, 775
- Mateo, 757
- Leo, 702
- Maverick, 701
- Noah, 698
- Luka, 652
The boy names that saw the largest increases in usage in terms of relative numbers of babies were…
- Ermias, increased by 3360%
- Sekani, 1992%
- Amenadiel, 500%
- Kross, 481%
- Alexios, 429%
- Taz, 340%
- Ezran, 333%
- Andoni, 309%
- Kaleel, 300%
- Taysom, 295%
- Ermias was the legal first name of rapper Nipsey Hussle (who died on March 31, 2019).
- Sekani was the name of a young character in the film The Hate U Give (2018).
- Amenadiel is a character on the TV series Lucifer.
- Ezran is the name of a character on the Netflix series The Dragon Prince. (Ezran debuted in the data in 2018, the year the show started airing.)
- Taysom Hill is a professional football player with the New Orleans Saints.
Here are the boy names that debuted most impressively in the 2019 data:
- Armias, debuted with 54 baby boys
- Izhaan, 50
- Jsan, 33
- Jaiari, 29
- Ripp, 26
- Sakani, 21
- Jardani, 19
- Iskender, 17
- Kamiri, 17
- Siar, 14
- Armias and Sakani are spelling variants of Ermias and Sekani (above).
- Izhaan is a celebrity baby: Izhaan Mirza Malik was born in October of 2018 to Indian tennis player Sania Mirza and Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik.
- Jardani could be from Jardani Jovonovich, the “real” name of popular movie character John Wick…?
The boy names that saw the largest decreases in usage in terms of absolute numbers of babies were…
- Logan, decreased by 1,911 babies
- Michael, -1,174
- Jacob, -1,159
- Dylan, -1,076
- Mason, -1,065
- William, -1,048
- Connor, -932
- David, -871
- Ryan, -837
- Joshua, -836
The boy names that saw the largest decreases in usage in terms of relative numbers of babies were Nomar and Gianlucas (tied at -73%), and the boy name that saw the steepest drop off the list was Stephano (from 21 babies in 2018 to fewer than 5 in 2019).
If you can explain any of these rises (or drops), please leave a comment!