How popular is the baby name Friend in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Friend and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Friend.
Here’s another batch of uncommon names. All of the men below have been mayors of U.S. cities.
- Abdiel Daily Crossman (1804-1859) – mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana from 1846 to 1854.
- Alcaeus Hooper (1859-1938) – mayor of Baltimore, Maryland from 1895 to 1897.
- deLesseps Story Morrison (1912-1964) – mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana from 1946 to 1961.
- Feramorz Little (1820-1887) – mayor of Salt Lake City, Utah from 1876 to 1882. Seems to have been named for a Kashmirian poet.
- Friend Humphrey (1787-1854) – mayor of Albany, New York from 1843 to 1845 and from 1849 to 1850.
- Glendy Burke – mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana in 1865. The Stephen Foster song Glendy Burke is about a steamboat that was probably named for the mayor.
- Goyn A. Sutton (1816-1886) – mayor of Springfield, Illinois from 1860 to 1864.
- Hempstead Washburne (1852-1919) – mayor of Chicago, Illinois from 1891 to 1893.
- Kindred Jenkins Morris (1819-1884) – mayor of Nashville, Tennessee from 1869 to 1871.
- LeBreton Dorgenois – mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana in 1812.
- Powhaten Woolridge Maxey (1810-1876) – mayor of Nashville, Tennessee from 1843 to 1844.
- Thorowgood Smith (1744-1810) – mayor of Baltimore, Maryland from 1804 to 1808.
- Trevanion W. Hugo (1849-1923) – mayor of Duluth, Minnesota from 1900 to 1903.
- Volckert Petrus Douw (1720-1801) – mayor of Albany, New York from 1761 to 1770.
- Wellington Webb (born in 1941) – mayor of Denver, Colorado from 1991 to 2003.
- Whitehead Hicks (1728-1780) – mayor of New York City, New York from 1766 to 1776.
Former Denver mayor Quigg Newton almost made the list, but his first name was actually James.
Did I miss any other unusual mayoral monikers?
The names below are “one-hit wonder” names that ranked among the 1,000 most popular U.S. baby names only once–sometime during the 1880s.
This list is much longer than the 1940s and 1950s lists, but it’s also probably a lot less reliable. Why? Because the SSA‘s baby name data for the late 1800s and early 1900s is pretty skewed. As a result, a lot of random names (and not-quite-names) managed to rank among the statistical “top 1,000” during this period.
- 1880 – Adina, Almyra, Chanie, Chrissie, Clemie, Cordella, Dayse, Delina, Delle, Elmire, Elzada, Estie, Fronnie, Lovisa, Lucina, Manerva, Manervia, Minervia, Neppie, Nolie, Orilla, Rillie, Sybilla, Tella, Thursa
- 1881 – Achsah, Ala, Alabama, Amey, Chestina, Chloie, Crissie, Daisye, Dema, Dollye, Eithel, Mila, Senora, Siddie, Sylvania, Tiney, Zilpah
- 1882 – Affie, Arah, Artelia, Birdella, Cathern, Cilla, Elizbeth, Fannye, Francina, Genevra, Iza, Jerusha, Loda, Lucetta, Lucindy, Luda, Mahalie, Modena, Nanna, Nelie, Olena, Sinda, Vicy
- 1883 – Almina, Argie, Beatrix, Cappie, Caro, Cloe, Deetta, Dorathea, Ermine, Felicie, Icey, Junia, Lovey, Marianita, Mattye, Pearla, Simona
- 1884 – Alzina, Annice, Georganna, Leala, Lurana, Milly, Nealy, Olivine, Oney, Savilla, Sussie, Theodocia, Violetta
- 1885 – Aurilla, Dosia, Emmy, Essa, Ica, Ilma, Lolla, Medora, Octa
- 1886 – Alwilda, Angele, Betha, Clytie, Ermina, Hilah, Louisiana, Metha, Oline, Pricilla
- 1887 – Alwine, Anice, Clemma, Eppie, Gustie, Octavie, Orelia
- 1888 – Francies, Margretta, Orra, Pairlee, Pallie
- 1889 – Chessie, Erla, Herma, Lulah, Noemie
- 1880: Agustus, Baldwin, Candido, Ceylon, Clemente, Firman, Friend, Hays, Hence, Hunt, Isam, Jabez, Obed, Rafe, Redden, Salomon, Sannie, Tilden
- 1881 – Ambers, Cas, Casimiro, Dixon, Elonzo, Emry, Erving, Esequiel, Manly, Marius, Marrion, Mercer, Obe, Philo, Primus, Prosper, Pryor, Roll, Wiliam, Wing, York
- 1882 – Alanzo, Alby, Alcee, Auguste, Caswell, Clabe, Ell, Greene, Hansford, Lone, Marsh, Pearley, Wenzel
- 1883 – Blanchard, Bose, Charle, Emett, Grove, Hanson, Jep, Jeptha, Linzy, Lute, Milas, Thurlow
- 1884 – Blain, Bowman, Bunk, Donaciano, Ebenezer, Ignatz, Odin, Oley, Osborn, Shep, Vollie
- 1885 – Drury, Elon, Fielding, Fleet, Fount, Lark, Lim, Nim, North, Orvis, Reason, Virge, Worley, Zenas
- 1886 – Acey, Algernon, Amasa, Amil, Calhoun, Colbert, Elby, Fuller, Ham, Lilburn, Lovett, Pratt, Ruffin
- 1887 – Bliss, Dorr, Ethelbert, Gilford, Gilman, Graves, Hillery, Shepherd
- 1888 – Benjman, Celestino, Hart, Hilmer, Le, Liston, Lott, Nils, Vere
- 1889 – Abie, Alver, Anatole, Boone, Branch, Bush, Claiborne, Edw, Fed, Governor, Hjalmar, Levin, Redmond
All one-hit wonder lists: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.