How popular is the baby name Ganna in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Ganna and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Ganna.
According to data from Malta’s National Statistics Office, the most popular name-groups in Malta in 2014 were Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella and Luke/Luca/Lucas.
Here are Malta’s top 10 girl and boy name-groups of 2014:
- Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella, 97 baby girls
- Julia/Yulia/Julianne, 72
- Emma/Emmanuela/Ema, 70
- Eliza/Elisa/Elizabeth/Elise, 69
- Catherine/Katrina/Kate/Katya, 46
- Maya/Mia/Myah, 44
- Lea/Leah/Leia, 42
- Emilia/Emily/Emelie, 41
- Amy/Aimee, 39
- Maria/Marija/Mariah/Marie, 37 [tie]
- Anna/Hannah/Ann, 37 [tie]
- Luke/Luca/Lucas, 98 baby boys
- Matthew/Matthias/Matteo, 97
- Jacob/Jake, 77
- Zachary/Zak/Zack, 59
- Michael/Miguel/Mikhail, 53
- Liam/William, 51 [tie]
- John/Jean/Jonathan/Juan/Gan, 51 [tie]
- Benjamin/Ben, 51
- Kaiden/Kayden/Kai ,46 [tie]
- Alexander/Alessandro/Alec, 46 [tie]
- Andrew/Andreas/Andre/Andy, 45
- Joseph/Beppe/Giuseppe/Josef, 40
Down in 15th place on the boys’ side is “Yannick/Yan” — both are versions of John, and yet they’re not part of the John group, which is tied for 6th.
Speaking of strange things…
The current Maltese birth registration system does not allow for Maltese fonts, which essentially means that names with ċ such as Ċikku or Ċensa; with a ġ such as Ġorġ or Ġanna; and with a ż such as Liża or Ġużi, are out – or at least will be recorded without the essential dots which distinguish the Maltese phonetical sound.
I’ve seen governments (e.g., NWT, California) make excuses about not being able to render minority/ethnic names properly on birth certificates, but I’ve never heard of a country that couldn’t render names from its own national language.
Here are the 2013, 2012, 2009, 2007 and 2006 rankings.
Sources: Naming Babies – National Statistics Office – Malta, Luke and Elena remain most popular names given to newborns, ‘Dotty’ system bars patriot baby names