How popular is the baby name Granville in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, check out all the blog posts that mention the name Granville.
Tuesday’s post about the Victorian-style Tylney Hall Hotel reminded me of a list of Victorian-era names that I’ve had bookmarked forever.
The list was created by amateur genealogist G. M. Atwater as a resource for writers. It contains names and name combinations that were commonly seen in the U.S. from the 1840s to the 1890s. Below is the full list (with a few minor changes).
Which female name and male name do you like best?
Source: Victorian Era Names, A Writer’s Guide
The Rev. Ralph William Lyonel Tollemache-Tollemache (1826-1895), a clergyman in the Church of England, gave his children some bizarre names.
Children from his first marriage:
- Lyonel Felix Carteret Eugene (b. 1854)
- Florence Caroline Artemisia Hume (b. 1855)
- Evelyne Clementina Wentworth Cornelia Maude (b. 1856)
- Granville Grey Marchmont Manners Plantagenet (b. 1858)
- Marchmont Murray Reginald Grasett Stanhope Plantagenet (b. 1860)
Children from his second marriage:
- Dora Viola Gertrude Irenez de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet (b. 1869)
- Mabel Helmingham Ethel Huntingtower Beatrice Blazonberrie Evangeline Vise de Lou de Orellana Plantagenet Toedmag Saxon (b. 1872)
- Lyonesse Matilda Dora Ida Agnes Ernestine Curson Paulet Wilbraham Joyce Eugénie Bentley Saxonia Dysart Plantagenet (b. 1874)
- Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet (b. 1876) – Initials spell “Lyonel the second”
- Lyona Decima Veroica Esyth Undine Cyssa Hylda Rowena Adela Thyra Ursuala Ysabel Blanche Lelias Dysart Plantagenet (b. 1878)
- Leo Quintus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet (b. 1879)
- Lyonella Fredegunda Cuthberga Ethelswytha Ideth Ysabel Grace Monica de Orellana Plantagenet (b. 1882)
- Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet (b. 1884)
- Lyonetta Edith Regina Valentine Myra Polwarth Avelina Phillipa Violantha de Orellana Plantagenet (b. 1887)
- Lyunulph Cospatrick Bruce Berkeley Jermyn Tullibardine Petersham de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet (b. 1892)
I learned of the Tollemache-Tollemache family while looking up quirky British names many months ago.