How popular is the baby name Harlem in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, check out all the blog posts that mention the name Harlem.
According to the government of Sonoma, California, the most popular baby names in the county in 2018 were Camila and Mateo.
Here are Sonoma’s top 5 girl names and top 5 boy names of 2018:
- Camila, 28 baby girls
- Isabella, 27
- Olivia, 26
- Emma, 23
- Sophia and Abigail, 21 (tied)
- Mateo, 33 baby boys
- Alexander, 25
- William, 24
- Angel, 20
- Liam, Benjamin and Adrian, 19 (3-way tie)
And here are some of the baby names from the other end of the list. Each of these was used just once in Sonoma in 2018:
|Unique Girl Names||Unique Boy Names|
|Ariscel, Aumber, Bivianny, Bellona, Citrina, Evening, Elliadria, Happi, Hibatullah, Itzae, Marrakech, Novalu, Naviannan, Punelupi, Sahori, Sixela, Taya, Xylamoon, Yuna||Athos, Andoni, Bromley, Calcagno, Castle, Dreyce, Gridley, Harlem, Ilaisa, Kaxachi, Kestrel, Neon, Olonzo, Pride, Stream, Summit, Track, Truckee, Xavion|
(I posted more of Sonoma County’s unique baby names over on Patreon.)
The top names in 2017 were Mia and Mateo.
Source: Sonoma County Baby Names
Which baby names are the most disproportionately popular in each U.S. state?
Name blog Republic of Names has your answer — a bunch of cool lists of the most distinctive baby names by state. Here are some highlights for about half of the states.
- Crimson – Crimson Tide is the University of Alabama football team.
- Denali – Denali (Mount McKinley) in Alaska is North America’s highest peak.
- Nizhoni – Nizhóní is a Navajo word meaning “it/he/she is pretty/beautiful.”
- Sedona – Sedona is a city in Arizona.
- Eztli – Eztli is a Nahuatl (Aztec) word meaning “blood.”
- Trindon – Trindon Holliday played pro football in Colorado.
- Kinnick – Kinnick Stadium is where the Iowa Hawkeyes football team plays.
- Marigny – Foubourg Marigny is a New Orleans neighborhood.
- Baxter – Baxter is a state park in Maine.
In North Carolina:
In North Dakota:
- Autzen – Autzen Stadium is where the Oregon Ducks football team plays.
- Avenir – Avenir is a French word meaning “future.” It’s also on the Washington state list below. In fact, nearly two-thirds of last year’s Avenirs were born on the west coast: 10 in Washington, 7 in California, 5 in Oregon. Anyone know why?
- Brazos – Brazos is a Spanish word meaning “arms.” The Brazos River in Texas was originally called Rio de los Brazos de Dios, or “River of the Arms of God.”
- Korver – Kyle Korver played pro basketball in Utah.
In Washington, D.C.:
In Washington (state):
- Avenir – see Oregon
In West Virginia:
See the original post for the rest. You might also be interested in checking out the “most regional” baby names in the US.
Update, 5/31/2018: Figured out Avenir!