How popular is the baby name Huy in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Huy and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Huy.
The theme this week? Names that tie back to the end of the Vietnam War.
Yesterday’s name, Chaffee, isn’t the only Vietnam-related name we see on the charts in 1975. There are plenty of Vietnamese names that pop up that year as well. Here are the ones I’ve spotted so far:
|Vietnamese Boy Name Debuts, 1975
||Vietnamese Girl Name Debuts, 1975
Viet, 23 baby boys [top debut]
Hung, 16 [4th]
Nam, 14 [6th]
Huy, 13 [7th]
Anh, 10 baby girls [58th highest debut]
Many other Vietnamese names — Bao, Chinh, Dao, Giang, Huong, Khanh, Lam, Nguyet, Phuc, Quyen, Suong, Thanh, Vuong, and so forth — debut on the SSA’s list during the late ’70s and early ’80s.
One of the Vietnamese babies born at Chaffee in 1975 was Dat Nguyen, who went on to become the first Vietnamese-American to play in the NFL. His name, Dat, wasn’t popular enough to make the national list until 1979.
[For context, one of the pop culture names that debuted in 1975 was Chakakhan. Another was Tennille, inspired by Captain & Tennille.]
I’ve saved the best for last!
Each of these baby names made the U.S. top 1,000 list exactly once — sometime during the 1980s.
- Audriana ranked 864th in 1989
- Audrianna ranked 760th in 1989
- Britta ranked 861st in 1986
- Brittnay ranked 935th in 1989
- Cherrelle ranked 879th in 1986
- Cristen ranked 970th in 1982
- Diandra ranked 904th in 1988
- Dwan ranked 877th in 1983
- Evita ranked 775th in 1981 – influence: Broadway musical Evita
- Grecia ranked 979th in 1988
- Grisel ranked 784th in 1984
- Jalissa ranked 969th in 1988 – influence: tv show A Different World
- Jenilee ranked 820th in 1982
- Joi ranked 911th in 1981
- Kyrie ranked 960th in 1986
- Latoyia ranked 899th in 1981
- Martine ranked 794th in 1981
- Nereida ranked 984th in 1981
- Renada ranked 706th in 1980
- Sable ranked 904th in 1986
- Shardae ranked 834th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Sharde ranked 875th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Sharday ranked 938th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Shatara ranked 991st in 1986
- Shenna ranked 861st in 1984
- Shira ranked 988th in 1985 – influence: She-Ra: Princess of Power
- Taja ranked 727th in 1988 – influence: Taja Sevelle
- Tashina ranked 900th in 1981
- Teela ranked 872nd in 1984 – influence: tv show He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Tenika ranked 949th in 1982
- Violeta ranked 965th in 1985
- Tai ranked 937th in 1980
- Adalberto ranked 918th in 1981
- Brantley ranked 985th in 1988
- Cordaro ranked 908th in 1987 – influence: soap opera One Life to Live
- Geraldo ranked 889th in 1998 – influence: Geraldo Rivera
- Horacio ranked 995th in 1980
- Hung ranked 957th in 1982
- Huy ranked 997th in 1982
- Joseluis ranked 970th in 1987
- Marchello ranked 844th in 1981
- Tavaris ranked 994th in 1984
- Trumaine ranked 952nd in 1983
There are actually a few more one-hits from this decade, but they’re a little different. I’ll talk about them tomorrow.
UPDATE: Here they are! The Great Baby Name Glitch of 1989 – Christop, Alexandr, Elizabet
All one-hit wonder lists: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.