How popular is the baby name Hymen in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Hymen and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Hymen.
The names below are one-hit wonder names that ranked among the 1,000 most popular U.S. baby names only once–sometime between 1910 and 1919 (inclusive).
- 1910 – Arietta, Loree
- 1911 – Blanchie, Felice
- 1912 – Maebell
- 1914 – Orene
- 1915 – Cleone, Lahoma
- 1916 – Rosaria
- 1917 – Idamae, Lavelle, Michelina
- 1918 – Victory
- 1919 – Haruko
- 1911 – Amerigo
- 1913 – Gennaro, Hymen, Melbourne
- 1914 – Geno, Gilmore, Saverio
- 1915 – Arvo
- 1916 – Berlin, Gerhardt, Hughes, Tatsuo
- 1917 – Orvin
- 1918 – Foch – influence: Ferdinand Foch
- 1919 – Laddie, Metro, Therman
Victory made the list the same year that WWI ended (well, the year that Germany and the Allies signed the armistice treaty). The treaty wasn’t signed until November 11th, though, so I wonder if most of the little girls named Victory were born right at the end of 1918.
(Liberty also made the list for the first time in 1918. Its second appearance was 1976, the year of the U.S. Bicentennial.)
All one-hit wonder lists: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.
I thought I would follow up my posts on bad meanings and unlikable names with ten baby names that have been rendered fairly unusable for modern parents, for various reasons.
- Dorcas (f) – last ranked among the top 1,000 U.S. names in 1950.
- Fairy (f) – last ranked in 1932.
- Fanny (f) – last ranked in 1939.
- Gaylord (m) – last ranked in 1956, though — who knows? — maybe those Focker movies will spark a comeback. :)
- Hortense (f) – last ranked in 1941.
- Hymen (m) – last ranked in 1913.
- Maxie/Maxi (f) – Maxie last ranked in 1962; Maxi has never ranked.
- Pansy (f) – last ranked in 1952.
- Philander (m) – has never ranked, likely because its negative connotation dates all the way back to the mid-19th century (before data was collected).
- Rube (m) – last ranked in 1907.
Did I miss any good ones? (Good as in bad, of course.)