How popular is the baby name Iphigenia in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Iphigenia and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Iphigenia.
Boston’s Central Burying Ground was established in 1756, so it’s newer than the other Boston cemeteries I’ve blogged about (King’s Chapel, Granary, and Copp’s Hill). Nevertheless, it still contains some pretty interesting names:
- A: Aderline, Alford, Alona, Alpheus, Alsendorf, Annjulett, Antice, Anstice, Arodi, Artemis, Asadel
- B: Barstow, Barzillia, Belcher, Benaset
- C: Calista, Christeena, Clarena, Clarentine, Cumming
- D: Dolley
- E: Ede, Elbridge, Elhanah, Eliakim, Emely
- F: Fletcher, Freelove
- G: Giles, Gilman, Gustavus
- H: Hannahretta, Hawkes, Hepzibah, Hermione, Hezekiah, Hitty
- I: Ichabod, Ignatius, Iphigenia
- J: Jaazaniah, Jennet
- K: Keziah
- L: Lendall, Llewlwyn, Loms, Lot, Lyman
- M: Manasseh, Mansfred, Marayanna, Marston, Mayday, Mehitable, Micajah, Milla, Mindwell, Minerva
- N: Nabby, Nahum
- O: Orvilla
- P: Pamelia, Percival, Phebee, Philander, Pliny
- R: Rodolth, Rosalinda, Rosamund, Ruhamah
- S: Sally, Salome, Seiba, Shubael, Shubel, Sibley, Silence, Silvanus, Sophronia, Sukey, Sylvanus
- T: Tamer, Ternon, Theophilus, Tristam, Tryphena
- V: Vivia
- W: Waverly, Wentworth, Worham, Winthrop
- Z: Zabiah, Zebiah, Zeal, Zephaniah, Zilpah
I bet Vivia would appeal to modern parents looking for an alternative to Olivia and/or Vivian.
Which of the above do you like best? How about least?
Source: Gravestone Inscriptions and Records of Tomb Burials in the Central Burying Ground (1917) by Ogden Codman
According to finalized data from National Records of Scotland (NRS), the most popular baby names in Scotland in 2015 were Emily and Jack.
Here are Scotland’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2015:
1. Emily, 497 baby girls
2. Sophie, 468
3. Olivia, 452
4. Isla, 419
5. Jessica, 357
6. Ava, 354
7. Amelia, 352
8. Ella, 341
9. Lucy, 317
10. Lily, 279
1. Jack, 565 baby boys
2. Oliver, 448
3. James, 416
4. Lewis, 371
5. Alexander, 349
6. Charlie, 342
7. Lucas, 316
8. Logan, 311
9. Harris, 306
10. Daniel, 282
This finalized 2015 list is a lot like (but not exactly like) the preliminary rankings that came out in December.
It’s also a lot like the 2014 rankings, the the main difference being that Harris has replaced Noah in the boys’ top ten.
And now for the fun part! Here are some of the baby names that were bestowed just once last year in Scotland. Ladies first:
- Caledonia – Caledonia was what the ancient Romans called the region that became Scotland. It’s now used as a poetic name for Scotland.
- Christine-Smart – I’ve seen “smart” used as a name before, but all the examples I know of are historical.
- Ptarmigan – A bird name I almost never see used as a baby name. Ironically, the word “ptarmigan” happens to be based on a Scottish Gaelic word (tàrmachan).
- Twylabelle – Another -belle name to add to the list of -bella and -belle names.
And now the gents:
- Corryvreckan – The Gulf of Corryvreckan (from the Gaelic Coire Bhreacain) is a narrow strait off Scotland’s west coast famous for its large whirlpool.
- Oomo – Reminds me of Omoo.
For more sets of rankings, check out the name rankings category.
Source: Jack and Emily are Scotland’s top baby names
A reader named Amy needs a bit of assistance:
Our third child, a baby girl, is due in two weeks and we are having trouble finalizing her name. The first name will be Alice. Would you please suggest unpopular yet interesting middles names that would compliment a French surname?
(The surname has two syllables–stress on the second syllable–and starts with the letter L.)
The baby is due in a matter of days…but I’m swamped with work and don’t have time to really mull over name suggestions like I normally do. So the list below is the product of a quick brainstorm…
I’ll do my best to come up with other (better?) suggestions over the next few days and post them in the comments.
In the meanwhile, what other unpopular-yet-interesting names do you think could work with Alice?
Update, 6/03 – Alice is here! Scroll down to the final comment to find out what her middle name is…