The first season of hit drama Empire aired from January through March of this year.
The show’s audience grew bigger and bigger with each successive episode (no small feat!) and the first-season finale was the most successful of “any new series on any broadcast network” since the first-season finale of Grey’s Anatomy back in 2005.
I think the show — which will be back on the air with new episodes in September — could have a big impact on baby names in 2015. Some Empire names to keep an eye on:
- Taraji, for actress Taraji P. Henson.
- Cookie, for character Cookie Lyon. This name was last on the SSA’s list in the early 1990s, but the character is giving the name Cookie a whole new image, so…will it be back in 2015?
- Lyon, for the family surname.
- Lucious, for character Lucious Lyon. It gets a fraction of the usage that Lucius gets, but could this character change that?
- Lola, for character Lola Lyon. Not a major character, but extremely adorable — and when it comes to names, that’s sometimes all that matters.
- Trai, for actor Trai Byers.
And three names that might debut on the SSA’a list in 2015…
- Bryshere, for actor Bryshere Y. Gray.
- Jussie, for actor Jussie Smollett. Smollett has been in and out the spotlight for a long time now, and his name has never made the list, but maybe this will change in 2015. (His character, Jamal, is probably the most likable person on the show.)
- Empire, for the show itself. This one might seem improbable, but I wouldn’t count it out as similar names (e.g., King, Kingdom, Emperor, Sire, Sovereign) do exist.
What are your thoughts on the names in Empire? Did I miss any good ones?
P.S. Actor Terrence Howard, who plays Lucious, recently welcomed a son named Qirin. The name was derived from qilin, the name of a mythical Chinese creature.