How popular is the baby name Marsai in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, check out all the blog posts that mention the name Marsai.
Time for the annual Pop Culture Baby Name Game!
But first: Happy birthday, Elvis Presley! (He would have been 85 today.)
So now, think back to 2019. Think of all the pop culture that caught your attention. Think of movies, music, TV shows, social media, sports, video games, news, politics, products, and so forth.
Which of these things had an influence on U.S. baby names last year, do you think? Which baby names will see higher usage (or appear for the very first time) in the 2019 data thanks to 2019 pop culture?
Here are some names to start with:
- Adeya – from celebrity baby Adeya (born in March to Kehlani)
- Alita – from the movie Alita: Battle Angel
- Archie – from royal baby Archie (born in May to Harry & Meghan)
- Billie – from singer Billie Eilish
- Brixton – from the movie Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
- Deckard – from the movie Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
- Dorian – from hurricane Dorian
- Eilish – also from singer Billie Eilish
- Gloria – from the St. Louis Blues anthem “Gloria“
- Greedy – from NFL player Andraez Montrell “Greedy” Williams
- Greta – from environmental activist Greta Thunberg
- Lizzo – from rapper/singer Lizzo (originally a Melissa)
- Luce – from the movie Luce
- Maleficent – from the movie Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
- Nipsey – from the late rapper Nipsey Hussle
- Post – from rapper Post Malone
- Psalm – from celebrity baby Psalm (born in May to Kim & Kanye)
- Saybie – from newsworthy baby Saybie
- Shaed – from the band Shaed (“Trampoline”)
- Sulwe – from the book Sulwe by Lupita Nyong’o
- Wick – from the movie John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
A few names from the 2018 game (Kamala? Kelleth? Sanni? Marsai?) might still be applicable as well.
What other names should we add to the list? Let me know by commenting below. Please don’t forget to mention the pop culture influence!
I’ll be posting the game results in May of 2020, a few days after the SSA releases the 2019 baby name data. If you don’t want to miss the results post, just subscribe to NBN!
Here are the results of Pop Culture Baby Name Game 2018! For the pop culture context of any of these names, just click back over to the original game post.
Names that saw higher usage in 2018:
- Carson (as a boy name), +487
Still waiting on the state data to know how much of this usage happened in Pennsylvania. The state data is out! PA was indeed the state that had the most Carsons, with 454 baby boys (8.7% of the national total) getting the name. This makes Carson the 11th-most-popular boy name in the state for 2018.
- Miles (as a boy name), +343
- Zhavia, debuted at 306
- Meghan, +248
- Hayes (as a boy name), +207
- Crew, +139
- Kane, +106
- Havana, +101
- Elsie, +92
- Stormi, +85
- Violet, +75
- Cleo, +67
- Braven, +66
- True (as a girl name), +46
- Astrid, +42
- Billie, +32
- Dua, +32
- Zia, +21
- Nakia (as a girl name), +21
- Kiari (as a girl name), +20
- Granger, +18
- Yarishna, debuted at 18
- Mera, +16
- Roma, +15
- Shay (as a boy name), +15
- Araminta, re-emerged at 13
- Rami, +13
- Elanese, debuted at 12
- Halsey, +12
- Wade, +11
- Khalid, +10
- Chadwick, +9
- Shuri, re-emerged at 9
- Doria, re-emerged at 8
- Sharaya, re-emerged at 8
- Keala, +7
- Banks (as a girl name), debuted at 6
- Cardi, debuted at 6
- Chicago (as a girl name), debuted at 6
- Garrix, debuted at 6
- Karamo, re-emerged at 6
- Koe, debuted at 6
- Swae, debuted at 6
- Takeshi, re-emerged at 6
- Aegon, debuted at 5
- Zaytoven, debuted at 5
- Jojo (as a girl name), +4
- Zazie, +4
- Rani (as a girl name), +3
- Billion, +3
- Canon, +1
- Mariposa, +1
Names that saw no change in usage in 2018.
Names that saw lower usage in 2018:
Names that were absent from the SSA data in 2018:
- Did not debut: Avicii, Carvena, Chevel, Coco (as a boy name), Cullinan, Ella Mai, Kaavia, Kulture, Mahomes, Majeste, Maquia, Marsai, Nafessa, Osaka, Pineapple, Qira, Ramirez (as a girl name), Reileen, Sanni, Velar, Venom, Villanelle, Xolo, Yanny, Zaxai
- Did not re-emerge: Cress, Gio, Joji, Jumanji, T’challa
Names that were “absent” from the 2017’s results, now in 2018:
Plus: Rumi finally rose, and Sircarter unexpectedly surfaced.
What are your thoughts on the results this year? Did anything surprise you?
[Disclaimer: Some of the names above were already moving in the direction indicated, and some were no doubt influenced by more than a single pop culture person/event. I leave it up to you to judge the degree/nature of pop culture influence in each case.]