How popular is the baby name Mathew in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Mathew and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Mathew.
We’ve already done a photography namestorm, but I received a request for a namestorm about photographers specifically.
Some of these names I found in the comments to the earlier namestorm (thank you Nancy, Bridgett and Julie) and others I found on various photography websites.
- Alfred, for Alfred Eisenstaedt (who took that famous V-J Day shot) and Alfred Stieglitz.
- Anna-Lou (or Annie), for Anna-Lou “Annie” Leibovitz.
- Ansel, for Ansel Adams.
- Berenice, for Berenice Abbott.
- Carleton, for Carleton Watkins.
- Dorothea, for Dorothea Lange.
- Edward, for Edward Steichen and Edward Weston.
- Eugene, for Eugène Atget and W. Eugene Smith.
- Galen, for Galen Rowell.
- Garry, for Garry Winogrand.
- Harry, for Harry Callahan.
- Helen, for Helen Levitt.
- Henri, for Henri Cartier-Bresson.
- Imogen, for Imogen Cunningham.
- Irving, for Irving Penn.
- Julia, for Julia Margaret Cameron.
- Margaret, for Margaret Bourke-White.
- Mathew, for Mathew Brady.
- Richard, for Richard Avedon.
- Roger, for Roger Fenton.
- Robert, for Robert Capa and Robert Adams.
- Timothy, for Timothy O’Sullivan.
- Walker, for Walker Evans.
- Yousuf, for Yousuf Karsh.
Who else would you add to this list?
What interests/activities should we namestorm about next?
A reader named Abby is expecting a baby boy at the end of the year, and she’d like some helping coming up with his name. She writes:
His sister’s name is Adalaide Joy Foley* and we would like to use the middle name Bernard in honor of his grandfather who is no longer with us.
Abby also mentions that she likes names that are easily shortened. (Adalaide goes by the nickname Ada, for instance.)
Here’s what I came up with:
Dominic (Dom, Nic)
Frederick (Fred, Rick)
Roderick (Rod, Rick)
Theodore (Ted, Theo)
William (Will, Bill)
Do you think any of these go particularly well with Bernard? What other names would you suggest to Abby?
*The actual surname is not Foley, but it’s similar.
Update – The baby is here! Scroll down to see which name Abby chose.