How popular is the baby name Mathilda in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Mathilda and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Mathilda.
Echo Scarlett Honey Beaver of Milton Keynes (a town in England) is the second of five siblings. The other four are named:
- Clint Battista (first name for Clint Eastwood)
- Milo Phoenix Dee
- Disney Taime Sapphire (first name in tribute to Walt Disney films)
- Dali Paolo Reuben (first name for Salvador Dalí)
She’s also a mom. Her two children are Pharrell Cassius Diego and Lovella Honey. She says, “I had to carry on the tradition of unusual names–and I’m sure the rest of my family will do the same.”
Her comment made me curious. Are adults who grew up surrounded by unique names more likely to give their own children unique names?
Here are a couple of case studies:
- Frank Zappa‘s four children are Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet (after Ahmet Ertegun, co-founder of Atlantic Records) and Diva. His grandkids are Mathilda, Zola and Ceylon.
- Joaquin Phoenix’s sisters and (late) brother are River, Rain, Liberty and Summer. His nieces and nephews are Jonas, Rio, Indigo, Scarlette, Indiana and Atticus.
What are your thoughts?
Source: What’s in a name? Ask the Beavers, Milton Keynes Citizen, 2010
Many of us have ancestors who traveled by sea. But few of us know the names of the ships that conveyed our ancestors from place to place. That’s too bad, because some of these vessels had names like:
M. F. Elliott
Malcolm Baxter Jr
Margaret May Riley
Marie di Giorgio
Marion G. Douglas
Mary G. Maynard
Maurice R. Thurlow
Myron C. Taylor
All of the above are actual ship names. These particular ships arrived at Ellis Island in the late 1800s and early 1900s. They could inspire some great baby names, couldn’t they?
Of course, performing genealogical research and then combing through passenger manifests is tedious business. And, even then, there’s no guarantee that the ship names you find in your family tree will be appropriate baby names.
But if you do put the time in, you might just discover a name that not only appeals to you, but is symbolic of your family, of overcoming hardship, of starting a new life. A name like that would certainly give your child a cool story to tell one day.