Here’s another batch of unusual-but-real names. This time, all were made in the U.S.A.
- Beveridge Webster (born in 1908) – pianist.
- Chloethiel Woodard Smith (born in 1910) – architect and urban planner.
- Craphonso Thorpe (born in 1983) – football player. (Craphonso = Craig + Alphonso.)
- Fitzedward Hall (born in 1825) – Sanskrit scholar and OED contributor.
- Mahonri Macintosh Young (born in 1877) – sculptor and artist.
- Majestic Mapp (born circa 1980) – basketball player. (Brother of Scientific.)
- Merze Tate (born in 1905) – scholar and professor.
- Rivers Cuomo (born in 1970) – musician.
- Scientific Mapp (born circa 1980) – basketball player. (Brother of Majestic.)
- Townsend Harris (born in 1804) – merchant and politician.
I discovered Craphonso, Majestic and Scientific in Bob Glauber’s recent post on great sports names.