How popular is the baby name Nathalie in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Nathalie and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Nathalie.
Poland’s top baby names of 2013 were announced a couple of weeks ago.
According to provisional data from the country’s Ministry of the Interior, the most popular baby names last year were Lena and Jakub.
Here are Poland’s projected top 20 girl names and top 20 boy names of 2013:
Baby names that increased in popularity last year include Antonina, Iga, Liliana, Maksymilian, Stanisław and Zofia.
The rare baby names mentioned in the press release were Jessika, Leah, Nathalie, Raisa, Vivian, Collin, Jack, Philipp, Yasin, Elif, Emi, Kenza, Zoya, Mieczysław, Siemowit, Witalij and Wadim.
Source: Lena i Jakub – to najpopularniejsze imiona mijającego roku
Last month, HBO aired an original movie called The Girl.
I didn’t see it, but the reviews tell me it was about the relationship between director Alfred Hitchcock and actress Nathalie Kay “Tippi” Hedren, who starred in two of Hitchcock’s movies, The Birds (1963) and Marnie (1964).
And that reminded me–both of these Hitchcock films had an effect on baby names in the 1960s.
The Birds inspired two SSA debuts: Tippi and Pleshette (from the surname of fellow Birds actress Suzanne Pleshette).
Tippi debuted in 1963:
- 1962 – not listed
- 1963 – 6 baby girls named Tippi [debut]
- 1964 – 10 baby girls named Tippi
- 1965 – 12 baby girls named Tippi
- 1966 – 8 baby girls named Tippi
And Pleshette debuted a year later:
- 1962 – not listed
- 1963 – not listed
- 1964 – 7 baby girls named Pleshette [debut]
- 1965 – not listed
- 1966 – 9 baby girls named Pleshette
Tippi was off the list again by the mid-1970s, and Pleshette hung on until the late 1980s.
Marnie wasn’t behind any debuts, but it did increase the popularity of the name Marnie:
- 1962 – 30 baby girls named Marnie
- 1963 – 38 baby girls named Marnie
- 1964 – 112 baby girls named Marnie
- 1965 – 267 baby girls named Marnie [rank: 584th]
- 1966 – 245 baby girls named Marnie [rank: 606th]
- 1967 – 252 baby girls named Marnie [rank: 600th]
- 1968 – 446 baby girls named Marnie [rank: 456th]
- 1969 – 510 baby girls named Marnie [rank: 427th]
- 1970 – 432 baby girls named Marnie [rank: 432nd]
Marnie fell out of the top 1,000 in 1978. In 2011, just 16 baby girls were named Marnie.
A reader named Liz is expecting a baby girl and she’d like some help coming up with a name. Here are some details:
- Liz likes “traditional names that are not the type of name the person wearing it will be teased for,” such as Amalia, Charlotte, Sofia and Louisa/Louise.
- Liz’s husband like “names that sound cute for a little kid but good for an adult,” such as Grace, Beatrice and Nathalie. (Liz doesn’t care for Beatrice/Beatrix, though.)
So far, Louise/Louisa is the only name both Liz and her husband can agree on.
Here are some other names that I thought might work:
No name is immune to teasing, but I did bump Harriet, which is dangerously close to “hairy.”
What other names would you suggest to Liz?