According to the Iowa Department of Public Health, the most popular baby names in the state in 2019 were Charlotte and Oliver.
Here are Iowa’s top 10 girl names and top 10 boy names of 2019:
- Charlotte, 179 baby girls
- Emma, 174
- Evelyn, 156
- Harper, 154
- Olivia, 134
- Amelia, 129
- Ava, 127
- Avery, 98
- Nora, 96
- Violet, 94
- Oliver, 236 baby boys
- Henry, 189
- Liam, 188
- William, 154
- Lincoln, 141
- Noah, 138
- Owen, 136
- Jack, 127
- Jackson, 124
- Maverick, 116
In the girls’ top 10, Avery and Violet replaced Sophia and Isabella.
In the boys’ top 10, Jack and Maverick replaced Wyatt and Hudson.
(The SSA’s 2019 name data for Iowa is different in several ways. On the girls’ side, Avery/Hazel/Nora are in a 3-way tie for 8th/9th/10th. On the boys’ side, Henry and Liam have switched spots, and Theodore is in 10th.)
Getting back to Iowa’s own data, here are some of the baby names that were bestowed just once in the state in 2019:
|Unique Girl Names||Unique Boy Names|
|Aglaia, Aoibhgreine, Belvida, Cinqi, Corazone, Dazzilynn, Demi-Dimitria, Eileithyia, Eilish, Ellanoire, Fetra, Garnet, Hattilyn, Hexli, Indica, Jasecret, Jotaniel, Kaelyx, Katibeth, Kisra Sifa, Lilith-Xitlali, Likely, Marthadelina, Mervedie, Nancina, Nectar, Offranel, Oteena, Penaflor, Piercely, Quertina, Renzley, Rivauna, Semsem, Sevlea, Spinlee, Telphina, Teiola, Tuyetlan, Umutoni, Victoria Chrysolite, Vrutti, Webbigail, Xio, Yukiko, Zingtha, Zlanwai||Amenadiel, Artorias, Bement, Capable, Chripp, Dawkins, Dylan Hendrix, Eiji, Elandale, Eljadai, Fitzonder, Guster, Hamilton, Hiroyuki, Iron, Jorisson, Judahmiah, Kaladin, Kershaw, Khal-El, Lawt, Littoree, Millennial, Meek, Naphaterion, Nessiah, Ole Gunnar, OllieAndre, Paradox, Provider, Quadier, Ralthio, Roanoke, Salpine, Seven-Seville, Stoic, Tandon, Triomphe, Truxton King, Uciel, Vainqueur, Vennis, Windzton, Xiden, Yossarian, Zimajay, Zuice|
Thoughts on some of the above…
- Amenadiel – a character on the show Lucifer
- Aoibhgreine – Irish for “radiance of the sun, ray of sunshine”
- Artorias – a character in the video game Dark Souls
- Eileithyia – the Greek goddess of childbirth
- Indica – a type of cannabis
- Kaladin – a character from the book series Stormlight Archive
- Khal-El – looks like Kal-El with a Game of Thrones twist :)
- Penaflor – a place name (Peñaflor) used in both Spain and Chile
- Roanoke – the Lost Colony; the word ultimately comes from the Roanoke people
- Triomphe – French for “triumph”
- Truxton King – a character from the 1909 book Truxton King
- Vainqueur – French for “winner” (was also used in Quebec!)
- Victoria Chrysolite – “chrysolite” is another word for peridot
- Yossarian – a character in the book Catch-22
I posted even more of Iowa’s unique baby names over on Patreon, so go check those out as well.
Finally, in 2018, the top two names in Iowa were Evelyn and Oliver.
- Ó Corráin, Donnchadh and Fidelma Maguire. Gaelic Personal Names. Ireland: Academy Press, 1981.
- Top Baby Names – Iowa Public Health Tracking Portal