How popular is the baby name Prohibition in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Prohibition and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Prohibition.
I’m fascinated by personal names that, out of context, don’t appear to be names at all. Especially when said names are created from everyday nouns and proper nouns — places, foods, animals, objects, brands, ideas, events, institutions, organizations, qualities, phenomena, and so forth.
My fascination kicked into high gear after I wrote about noun-names earlier this year. Ever since, I’ve kept my eyes peeled for noun-names.
So far, I’ve collected hundreds. But it’s going to take me a while to blog about all of them. In the meanwhile, I thought I’d list some of the strangest ones I’ve already talked about:
- Cape Cod
- Celerie (celery)
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Eiffel Tower
- Golden Palace
- Key West
- Legal Tender
- Opera House
- Soccer City
- Union Jack
- Vick Vaporup (Vicks VapoRub)
- Wilmot Proviso
Did I skip any good ones? Let me know in the comments!
- Sputnik, 10/4
- Nintendo, 10/22
- Annexation, 10/25
- Windchime, 11/9
- Oregon Territory, 11/22
- Gold Dust, 11/29
Speaking of Temperance…
I’ve discovered three people named Prohibition.
None of them were actually born during the Prohibition, though. They were all born in the 1880s, while the temperance movement was still on the rise.
- Prohibition Campbell (female) born on June 27, 1882, in Iowa.
- Ernest Prohibition Manhart (male) born on November 22, 1886, in North Dakota.
- Albert Prohibition Sparkman (male) born on April 28, 1887, in Tennessee.
I’ve also found nearly two dozen baby girls named Carrie Nation, presumably after radical temperance advocate Carrie A. Nation (1846-1911). They were born around the turn of the century or a little later, and most came from in Texas. Three examples:
- Carrie Nation Palmer, born on August 8, 1906, in Texas.
- Carrie Nation Hartzell, born on July 7, 1909, in Indiana.
- Carrie Nation Brooks, born on December 4, 1901, in Oklahoma.