How popular is the baby name Roger in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Roger and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Roger.
In June of 1982, the Toledo Blade ran a short article about two local brothers who “enjoy the distinction of having initials which spell their names.” One was Thomas Owen Matzinger (T.O.M.), the other was James Irvin Matzinger (J.I.M.). Their dad Mike said it was “just as well” that he didn’t have any more kids, because he couldn’t think of any other sets of names to fit the pattern.
My guess is that Mike was joking, because there are several other sets of initials that could work with an M-surname like Matzinger, one of which, T.I.M., is just a letter away from T.O.M.
In fact, there are at least a couple of combinations that would work with every type of surname.
So today, in honor of the Matzingers of Toledo, I’ve come up with a long list of name-spelling initials. They’re sorted by third initial (that is, the first letter of the last name) so you can scroll straight to the set that matches up with your own surname.
Initials that Spell Names & Nicknames
|Surname starts with:
||Potential full initials (& example combo):
||A.D.A. (Adelaide Diane A.)
A.N.A. (Anastasia Nadine A.)
A.S.A. (Asa Scott A.)
A.V.A. (Ava Virginia A.)
B.E.A. (Beatrix Elaine A.)
E.V.A. (Eva Veronica A.)
G.I.A. (Gia Idonea A.)
I.D.A. (Idabelle Daria A.)
I.N.A. (Ina Nigella A.)
I.R.A. (Ira Ralph A.)
I.S.A. (Isabel Simone A.)
K.I.A. (Kia Ianthe A.)
L.E.A. (Leah Elizabeth A.)
M.I.A. (Mia Imelda A.)
N.I.A. (Nia Ilona A.)
O.D.A. (Odalys Delfina A.)
O.R.A. (Ora Ruth A.)
U.M.A. (Uma Magnolia A.)
U.N.A. (Una Normina A.)
||D.E.B. (Deborah Ethel B.)
J.E.B. (Jeb Evan B.)
L.I.B. (Libbie Ione B.)
R.O.B. (Robert Orville B.)
S.E.B. (Sebastian Everly B.)
S.Y.B. (Sybil Yvette B.)
T.A.B. (Tabitha Araminta B.)
Z.E.B. (Zebulon Ezekiel B.)
||B.E.C. (Becky Eowyn C.)
M.A.C. (Mackenzie Anne C.)
N.I.C. (Nicole Isabelle C.)
V.I.C. (Victor Ivan C.)
Z.A.C. (Zackary Arlo C.)
||J.E.D. (Jedidiah Easton D.)
R.O.D. (Rodney Orrin D.)
T.E.D. (Theodora Eugenia D.)
Z.E.D. (Zedekiah Ezra D.)
||A.B.E. (Abraham Benjamin E.)
A.C.E. (Ace Corbin E.)
E.V.E. (Eve Violet E.)
F.A.E. (Fae Adina E.)
I.K.E. (Isaac Keith E.)
J.O.E. (Joseph Owen E.)
L.E.E. (Lee Ethan E.)
M.A.E. (Maebelle Alice E.)
M.O.E. (Morris Oscar E.)
R.A.E. (Raelene Alicia E.)
S.U.E. (Susan Ursula E.)
Z.O.E. (Zoe Ocean E.)
||A.L.F. (Alfred Leonard F.)
D.U.F. (Duffy Ultan F.)
J.E.F. (Jeffrey Elliott F.)
||M.E.G. (Megan Emiliana G.)
P.E.G. (Peggy Elise G.)
R.E.G. (Reggie Elmo G.)
R.O.G. (Roger Olav G.)
||A.S.H. (Ashton Samuel H.)
||A.B.I. (Abigail Bailey I.)
A.L.I. (Alison Layla I.)
A.M.I. (Ami May I.)
A.R.I. (Ariana Rafaela I.)
A.V.I. (Avi Vincent I.)
E.D.I. (Edith Daisy I.)
E.L.I. (Elijah Logan I.)
E.V.I. (Evie Venetia I.)
J.O.I. (Joi Olivia I.)
K.A.I. (Kai Alexander I.)
O.L.I. (Oliver Lennox I.)
||R.A.J. (Rajesh Ajay J.)
||M.A.K. (Makayla Ashley K.)
O.A.K. (Oakley Atlas K.)
||C.A.L. (Callum Audley L.)
D.E.L. (Delaney Estelle L.)
G.I.L. (Gilbert Ishmael L.)
H.A.L. (Harry Archibald L.)
L.I.L. (Lillian Iva L.)
M.A.L. (Malcolm Angus L.)
M.E.L. (Melanie Eloisa L.)
M.O.L. (Molly Odette L.)
S.A.L. (Sally Angelica L.)
S.O.L. (Solomon Osborn L.)
V.A.L. (Valerie Annette L.)
W.I.L. (Willy Ingo L.)
Z.E.L. (Zelda Erin L.)
||C.A.M. (Cameron Aidan M.)
D.O.M. (Dominic Orson M.)
J.E.M. (Jemima Eleanor M.)
J.I.M. (James Irvin M.)
K.I.M. (Kimberly Imogene M.)
L.E.M. (Lemuel Emerson M.)
P.A.M. (Pamela Alys M.)
R.A.M. (Ramsey Archer M.)
S.A.M. (Samuel Aaron M.)
S.I.M. (Simon Isidore M.)
T.A.M. (Tammy Anita M.)
T.I.M. (Timothy Isaac M.)
T.O.M. (Thomas Owen M.)
||A.N.N. (Annie Nuala N.)
B.E.N. (Benjamin Ellis N.)
C.Y.N. (Cynthia Yelena N.)
D.A.N. (Daniel Avery N.)
D.O.N. (Donovan Oliver N.)
F.I.N. (Finley Ivor N.)
J.A.N. (Janice Andrina N.)
J.O.N. (Jonathan Octavian N.)
K.E.N. (Kenneth Eric N.)
L.E.N. (Leonard Earl N.)
L.Y.N. (Lynnette Yasmin N.)
N.A.N. (Nancy Azalea N.)
R.E.N. (Renato Elian N.)
R.O.N. (Ronald Ormond N.)
V.A.N. (Vanessa Athena N.)
W.I.N. (Winifred Inez N.)
Z.E.N. (Zenobia Evelyn N.)
||F.L.O. (Florence Lily O.)
L.E.O. (Leo Elton O.)
||C.A.P. (Caprice Amity P.)
K.I.P. (Kip Indigo P.)
||J.A.Q. (Jaquan Anthony Q.)
R.A.Q. (Raquel Alaiah Q.)
||G.A.R. (Gareth Alfie R.)
||C.A.S. (Caspian Atticus S.)
G.U.S. (Gustavo Ulises S.)
J.E.S. (Jessica Esther S.)
L.E.S. (Lester Edward S.)
R.U.S. (Russell Upton S.)
W.E.S. (Wesley Elwood S.)
||A.R.T. (Arthur Roland T.)
C.A.T. (Catherine Aveline T.)
D.O.T. (Dorothy Olive T.)
M.A.T. (Matthew Alastair T.)
N.A.T. (Nathan Arnold T.)
P.A.T. (Patricia Ainsley T.)
||L.O.U. (Louisa Ophelia U.)
P.R.U. (Prudence Rhoda U.)
S.T.U. (Stuart Tucker U.)
T.R.U. (Trudie Rose U.)
||B.E.V. (Beverly Evangeline V.)
L.I.V. (Livia Indiana V.)
N.E.V. (Neville Eldon V.)
V.I.V. (Vivian Ingrid V.)
||L.A.W. (Lawson Amos W.)
L.E.W. (Lewis Edgar W.)
||B.A.X. (Baxter Andrew X.)
D.A.X. (Dax Alec X.)
D.E.X. (Dexter Edison X.)
J.A.X. (Jaxon Antony X.)
L.E.X. (Lexie Eliza X.)
M.A.X. (Maximus Alvin X.)
P.A.X. (Pax Amelia X.)
R.E.X. (Rex Elias X.)
R.O.X. (Roxanna Opal X.)
T.E.X. (Tex Emmanuel X.)
||A.M.Y. (Amy Michelle Y.)
G.U.Y. (Guy Urban Y.)
I.V.Y. (Ivy Verity Y.)
J.A.Y. (Jay Adam Y.)
J.O.Y. (Joyce Ondina Y.)
K.A.Y. (Katherine Addison Y.)
M.A.Y. (May Augusta Y.)
R.A.Y. (Raymond Adrian Y.)
R.O.Y. (Royce Oberon Y.)
S.K.Y. (Skylar Kerry Y.)
||H.E.Z. (Hezekiah Ellery Z.)
J.E.Z. (Jezebel Eulalia Z.)
L.I.Z. (Lizzie Iris Z.)
K.I.Z. (Kizzy Isla Z.)
R.O.Z. (Rosalind Olga Z.)
Can you come up with other good ones? If so, please leave a comment!
Source: “So Named.” Toledo Blade 29 Jun. 1982: P-1.
Looking for a surname-inspired baby name with a connection to Catholicism?
Here are more than 200 options, most of which come from Catholic Englishmen martyred during the 16th and 17th centuries.
Because the goal was to include as many realistic baby names as possible, I interpreted “surname” and “saint” liberally in some cases. Xavier is not technically a surname, for instance, and many of the folks below are not yet full-fledged saints.
The hyperlinked names will take you to popularity graphs.
- Abel, for Bl. Thomas Abel (d. 1540) of England.
- Abbot, for Bl. Henry Abbot (d. 1597) of England.
- Albert, for Bl. Federico Albert (d. 1876) of Italy.
- Almond, for St. John Almond (d. 1612) of England.
- Amias, for Bl. John Amias (d. 1589) of England.
- Ancina, for Bl. John Juvenal Ancina (d. 1604) of Italy.
- Andleby, for Bl. William Andleby (d. 1597) of England.
- Aquinas, for St. Thomas Aquinas (d. 1274) of Italy.
- Arrowsmith, for St. Edmund Arrowsmith (d. 1628) of England.
- Ashley, for Bl. Ralph Ashley (d. 1606) of England.
- Ashton, for Ven. Roger Ashton (d. 1592) of England.
- Atkinson, for Bl. Thomas Atkinson (d. 1616) of England.
- Aufield, for Bl. Thomas Aufield (d. 1585) of England.
- Barlow, for St. Ambrose Barlow (d. 1641) of England.
- Baylon, for St. Paschal Baylon (d. 1592) of Spain.
- Becket, from St. Thomas Becket (d. 1170) of England.
- Beesley, for Bl. George Beesley (d. 1591) of England.
- Belson, for Bl. Thomas Belson (d. 1589) of England.
- Bertie, for Servant of God Andrew Bertie (d. 2008) of England/Malta.
- Bertrand, for St. Louis Bertrand (d. 1581) of Spain/South America.
- Bessette, for St. André Bessette (d. 1937) of Canada.
- Bonzel, for Bl. Maria Theresia Bonzel (d. 1905) of Germany.
- Bosco, for St. John Bosco (d. 1888) of Italy.
- Bosgrave, for Bl. Thomas Bosgrave (d. 1594) of England.
- Bowes, for Bl. Marmaduke Bowes (d. 1585) of England.
- Briant, for St. Alexander Briant (d. 1581) of England.
- Britton, for Bl. John Britton (d. 1598) of England.
- Buxton, for Bl. Christopher Buxton (d. 1588) of England.
- Cabrini, for St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (d. 1917) of Italy/U.S.
- Campion, for St. Edmund Campion (d. 1581) of England.
- Carey, for Bl. John Carey (d. 1594) of England.
- Carter, for Bl. William Carter (b. 1584) of England.
- Casey, for Ven. Solanus Casey (d. 1957) of the U.S. (His religious name “Solanus” comes from St. Francis Solanus, below.)
- Cassant, for Bl. Pierre-Joseph Cassant (d. 1903) of France.
- Catherick, for Bl. Edmund Catherick (d. 1642) of England.
- Chanel, for St. Peter Chanel (d. 1841) of France.
- Claver, for St. Peter Claver (d. 1654) of Spain.
- Claxton, for Bl. James Claxton (d. 1588) of England.
- Collins, for Bl. Dominic Collins (d. 1602) of Ireland.
- Cope, for St. Marianne Cope (d. 1918) of Germany/U.S.
- Corbie, for Ven. Ralph Corbie (d. 1644) of Ireland.
- Cornelius, for Bl. John Cornelius (d. 1594) of England.
- Dalby, for Bl. Robert Dalby (d. 1589) of England.
- Daniel, for St. Antoine Daniel (d. 1648) of France/Canada.
- David, for Bl. Vicente Vilar David (1937) of Spain or Bl. Toros Oghlou David (d. 1895) of Armenia
- Davy, for Bl. John Davy (d. 1537) of England or Bl. Charlotte Davy (d. 1794) of France.
- Dean, for Bl. William Dean (d. 1588) of England.
- Dorie, for Bl. Pierre Henri Dorie (d. 1866) of France.
- Douglas, for Bl. George Douglas (d. 1587) of Scotland.
- Drexel, for St. Katharine Drexel (d. 1955) of the U.S.
- Drury, for Bl. Robert Drury (d. 1607) of England.
- Duff, for Servant of God Frank Duff (d. 1980) of Ireland.
- Duke, for Bl. Edmund Duke (d. 1590) of England.
- Durando, for Bl. Marco Antonio Durando (d. 1880) of Italy.
- Dutton, for Servant of God Joseph Dutton (d. 1931) of the U.S.
- Ebner, for Bl. Margareta Ebner (d. 1351) of Germany.
- Emmerich, for Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich (d. 1824) of Germany.
- Errico, for St. Gaetano Errico (d. 1860) of Italy.
- Errington, for Bl. George Errington (d. 1596) of England.
- Evans, for St. Philip Evans (d. 1679) of Wales.
- Faber, for St. Peter Faber (d. 1546) of France.
- Falzon, for Bl. Nazju Falzon (d. 1865) of Malta.
- Farina, for St. Giovanni Antonio Farina (d. 1888) of Italy.
- Fasani, for St. Francis Anthony Fasani (d. 1742) of Italy.
- Felton, for Bl. John Felton (d. 1570) in England.
- Fenn, for Bl. James Fenn (d. 1584) in England.
- Fenwick, for Bl. John Fenwick (d. 1679) of England.
- Ferrari, for Bl. Andrea Carlo Ferrari (d. 1921) of Italy.
- Ferrer, for St. Vincent Ferrer (d. 1419) of Spain.
- Filby, for Bl. William Filby (d. 1582) of England.
- Frassati, for Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati (d. 1925) of Italy.
- Fulthrop, for Bl. Edward Fulthrop (d. 1597) of England.
- Finch, for Bl. John Finch (d. 1584) of England.
- Fisher, for Bl. John Fisher (d. 1535) of England.
- Foley, for Servant of God Theodore Foley (d. 1974) of the U.S.
- Fontaine, for Bl. Marie-Madeleine Fontaine (d. 1794) of France.
- Forest, for Bl. John Forest (d. 1538) of England.
- Garnet, for St. Thomas Garnet (d. 1608) of England.
- Gavan, for Bl. John Gavan (d. 1679) of England.
- Gennings, for St. Edmund Gennings (d. 1591) of England.
- Gerard, for Bl. Jeanne Gerard (d. 1794) of France or Bl. Joseph Gérard, (d. 1914) of France/South Africa.
- Gerosa, for St. Vincentia Gerosa (d. 1847) of Italy.
- Gervase, for Bl. George Gervase (d. 1608) of England.
- Gibson, for Bl. William Gibson (d. 1596) of England.
- Goretti, for St. Maria Goretti (d. 1902) of Italy.
- Grove, for Bl. John Grove (d. 1679) of England.
- Gwyn, for St. Richard Gwyn (d. 1584) of Wales.
- Harrington, for Bl. William Harrington (d. 1594) of England.
- Heath, for Bl. Henry Heath (d. 1643) of England.
- Hewitt, for Bl. John Hewitt (d. 1588) of England.
- Higgins, for Bl. Peter Higgins (d. 1642) of Irish.
- Houghton, for St. John Houghton (d. 1535) of England.
- Howard, for St. Philip Howard (d. 1595) of England or for his grandson, Bl. William Howard (d. 1680) of England.
- Humphrey, for St. Lawrence Humphrey (d. 1590) of England.
- Hunt, for Bl. Thurston Hunt (d. 1601) of England.
- Ingleby, for Bl. Francis Ingleby (d. 1586) of England.
- Ingram, for Ven. John Ingram (d. 1594) of England.
- Janssen, for St. Arnold Janssen (d. 1909) of Germany.
- Kemble, for St. John Kemble (d. 1679) of England.
- Kern, for Bl. Jakob Kern (d. 1924) of Austria.
- Kirby, for St. Luke Kirby (d. 1582) of England.
- Kolbe, for St. Maximilian Kolbe (d. 1941) of Poland.
- Konrad, for Bl. Nicholas Konrad (d. 1941) of Ukraine.
- Lakota, for Bl. Gregor Lakota (d. 1950) of Ukraine.
- Langley, for Bl. Richard Langley (d. 1586) of England.
- Lanteri, for Ven. Bruno Lanteri (d. 1830) of Italy.
- Larke, for Bl. John Larke (d. 1544) of England.
- Laval, for Bl. Jacques-Désiré Laval (d. 1864) of France/Mauritius.
- Lawrence, for St. Robert Lawrence (d. 1535) of England.
- Leigh, for Bl. Richard Leigh (d. 1588) of England.
- Lewis, for St. David Lewis (d. 1679) of Wales
- Liguori, for St. Alphonsus Liguori (d. 1787) of Italy.
- Lilli, for Bl. Salvatore Lilli (d. 1895) of Italy.
- Lloyd, for St. John Lloyd (d. 1679) of Wales.
- Lockwood, for Bl. John Lockwood (d. 1642) of England.
- Lucas, for Bl. Charlotte Lucas (d. 1794) of France.
- MacKillop, for St. Mary MacKillop (d. 1909) of Australia.
- Majali, for Bl. Giuliano Majali (d. 1470) of Sicily.
- Majella, for St. Gerard Majella (d. 1755) of Italy.
- Manna, for Bl. Paolo Manna (d. 1952) of Italy.
- Marchand, for St. Joseph Marchand (d. 1835) of France.
- Marella, for Ven. Olinto Marella (d. 1969) of Italy.
- Mareri, for Bl. Philippa Mareri (d. 1236) of Italy.
- Margil, for Ven. Antonio Margil (d. 1726) of Spain/Central America.
- Mari, for Servant of God Ida Mari (d. 1981) of Italy.
- Martin, for St. Louis Martin (d. 1894) of France or Bl. Richard Martin (d. 1588) of England.
- Marsden, from Bl. William Marsden (d. 1586) of England.
- Marto, for Bl. Francisco Marto (d. 1919) of Portugal.
- Mason, for Bl. John Mason (d. 1591) of England.
- Massey, for Bl. René-Julien Massey (d. 1792) of France.
- Maxfield, for Bl. Thomas Maxfield (d. 1616) of England.
- Munden, for Bl. John Munden (d. 1584) of England.
- Mayer, for Bl. Rupert Mayer (d. 1945) of Germany.
- McAuley, for Ven. Catherine McAuley (d. 1841) of Ireland.
- Meehan, for Bl. Charles Meehan (d. 1679) of Ireland.
- Merlo, for Ven. Thecla Merlo (d. 1964) of Italy.
- Medina, for Bl. Manuel Medina y Olmos (d. 1936) of Spain.
- Mela, for Ven. Itala Mela (d. 1957) of Italy.
- Merton, for Fr. Thomas Merton (d. 1968) of the U.S.
- Mesina, for Bl. Antonia Mesina (d. 1935) of Italy.
- Miki, for St. Paul Miki (d. 1597) of Japan.
- Molina, for Bl. Mercedes de Jesús Molina y Ayala (d. 1883) of Ecuador.
- Molla, for St. Gianna Beretta Molla (d. 1962) of Italy.
- Mora, for Bl. Elisabeth Canori Mora (d. 1825) of Italy.
- Morse, for St. Henry Morse (d. 1645) of England.
- Nelson, for Bl. John Nelson (d. 1578) of England.
- Neri, for St. Philip Neri (d. 1595) of Italy.
- Newman, for Bl. John Henry Newman (d. 1890) of England.
- Nichols, for Bl. George Nichols (d. 1589) fo England.
- Nolasco, for St. Peter Nolasco (d. 1256) of France.
- Ogilvie, for St. John Ogilvie (d. 1615) of Scotland.
- Owen, for St. Nicholas Owen (d. 1606) of England.
- Page, for Bl. Anthony Page (d. 1593) of England or Bl. Francis Page (d. 1602) of England.
- Percy, for Bl. Thomas Percy (d. 1572) of England.
- Potter, for Ven. Mary Potter (d. 1913) of England.
- Powell, for Bl. Edward Powell (d. 1540) of Wales.
- Quinn, for Ven. Edel Quinn (d. 1944) of Ireland.
- Rawlins, for Bl. Alexander Rawlins (d. 1595) of England.
- Regis, for St. John Francis Regis (d. 1640) of France.
- Reynolds, for St. Richard Reynolds (d. 1535) of England or Bl. Thomas Reynolds (d. 1560) of England.
- Richardson, for Bl. Lawrence Richardson (d. 1582) of England or Bl. William Richardson (d. 1603) of England.
- Rigby, for St. John Rigby (d. 1600) of England
- Rivi, for Bl. Rolando Rivi (d. 1945) of Italy.
- Robinson, for St. Christopher Robinson (d. 1598) of England.
- Rochester, for Bl. John Rochester (d. 1537) of England.
- Roe, for St. Alban Roe (d. 1642) of England.
- Romano, for Bl. Vincent Romano (d. 1831) of Italy.
- Rossello, for St. Maria Giuseppa Rossello (d. 1880) of Italy.
- Sala, for Bl. Maria Anna Sala (d. 1891) of Italy.
- Savio, for St. Dominic Savio (d. 1857) of Italy.
- Scott, for Bl. Montford Scott (d. 1591) of England or Bl. Maurus Scott (d. 1612) of England.
- Serra, for St. Junipero Serra (d. 1784) of Spain/New Spain.
- Seton, for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (d. 1821) of the U.S.
- Sheen, for Ven. Fulton J. Sheen (d. 1979) of the U.S.
- Shelley, for Bl. Edward Shelley (d. 1588) of England.
- Sherwin, for St. Ralph Sherwin (d. 1581) of England.
- Sherwood, for Bl. Thomas Sherwood (d. 1578) of England.
- Sinclair, for Ven. Margaret Anne Sinclair (d. 1925) of Scotland.
- Slade, for Bl. John Slade (d. 1583) of England.
- Solanus, for St. Francis Solanus (d. 1610) of Spain.
- Southwell, for St. Robert Southwell (d. 1595) of England.
- Southworth, for St. John Southworth (d. 1654) of England.
- Steno, for Bl. Nicolas Steno (d. 1686) of Denmark.
- Spenser, for Bl. William Spenser (d. 1589) of England.
- Spencer, for Ven. Ignatius Spencer (d. 1864) of England.
- Stefani, for Bl. Irene Stefani (d. 1930) of Italy.
- Stein, for St. Edith Stein (d. 1942) of Germany.
- Stone, for St. John Stone (d. 1539) in England.
- Sullivan, for Ven. John Sullivan (d. 1933) in Ireland.
- Sutton, for Bl. Robert Sutton (d. 1587) of England.
- Talbot, for Ven. Matt Talbot (d. 1925) of Ireland or Bl. John Talbot (d. 1600) of England.
- Tansi, for Bl. Cyprian Michael Tansi (d. 1964) of Nigeria.
- Taylor, for Bl. Hugh Taylor (d. 1585) of England, Francis Taylor (d. 1621) of Ireland, or Ven. Frances Margaret Taylor (d. 1900) of England.
- Tezza, for Bl. Luigi Tezza (d. 1923) of Italy.
- Thirkeld, for Bl. Richard Thirkeld (d. 1583) in England.
- Thompson, for Bl. James Thompson (d. 1582) of England.
- Thorne, for Bl. John Thorne (d. 1539) of England.
- Thorpe, for Bl. Robert Thorpe (d. 1591) of England.
- Tirry, for Bl. William Tirry (d. 1654) of Ireland.
- Tomasi, for St. Giuseppe Maria Tomasi (d. 1713) of Italy.
- Tunstall, for Bl. Thomas Tunstall (d. 1616) of England.
- Turner, for Bl. Anthony Turner (d. 1679) of England.
- Vega, for Servant of God Pablo Muñoz Vega (d. 1994) of Ecuador.
- Venard, for St. Jean-Théophane Vénard (d. 1861) of France.
- Vera, for Ven. Jacinto Vera y Durán (d. 1881) of Uruguay.
- Verna, for Bl. Antonia Maria Verna (d. 1838) of Italy.
- Vianney, for St. Jean Vianney (d. 1859) of France.
- Ward, for St. Margaret Ward (d. 1588) of England.
- Webster, for St. Augustine Webster (d. 1535) of England.
- Wells, for St. Swithun Wells (d. 1591) of England.
- Wharton, for Bl. Christopher Wharton (d. 1600) of England.
- Whitaker, for Bl. Thomas Whitaker (d. 1646) of England.
- Wilson, for Ven. Mary Jane Wilson (d. 1916) of British India.
- Wright, for Bl. Peter Wright (d. 1651) of England.
- Xavier, for St. Francis Xavier (d. 1552) of Spain.
- Zaccaria, for St. Antonio Maria Zaccaria (d. 1539) of Italy.
- Zola, for Bl. Giovanni Batista Zola (d. 1626) of Italy.
Which of the above do you like best?
And, what other saint-inspired surnames would make good baby names? I’m sure I missed a few. Let me know in the comments!
On the morning of August 23, police officer Natisha Lucas of Pearland, Texas, administered first aid to a newborn baby girl after the baby’s mother gave birth at home.
The thankful mother later named her daughter A’Miracle Natisha, middle name in honor of Lucas.
Baby named after Pearland Police OfficerOn August 23, 2016 at approximately 0728 hours, Pearland Police Officer N….
Posted by Pearland Police Department on Thursday, August 25, 2016
Here are some earlier posts about babies named for police officers:
Know of any others I’ve missed?
Sources: Newborn Baby girl Named After Pearland Officer who Saved Her Life, Pearland Police Department
The image below, of the Boulevard du Temple in Paris, was captured in early 1838 by Louis Daguerre, inventor of the daguerreotype.
It may be the earliest surviving photograph of a person. Two people, actually. Both are in the lower left:
Here’s a close-up:
The standing man is getting his shoe shined, and the other man (partially obscured) is doing the shoe-shining.
Of all the people on the sidewalk that day, these were the only two to stay still long enough (about 10 minutes) to be captured in the image.
Now for the fun part!
What would you name these two Frenchmen?
Let’s pretend you’re writing a book set in Paris in the 1830s, and these are two of your characters. What names would you give them?
Here’s a long list of traditional French male names, to get you started:
For some real-life inspiration, here are lists of famous 19th century and 20th century French people, courtesy of Wikipedia. Notice that many of the Frenchman have double-barreled, triple-barreled, even quadruple-barreled given names. (Daguerre himself was named Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre.)
Source: The First Photograph of a Human
Elea of British Baby Names recently published a great list of names popular during the Elizabethan era (late 16th century) in the Norfolk region. Here are the top 10 names for each gender:
I thought it would be fun to compare this list to a couple of earlier historical name lists from England, so here are the most common names from King Henry III’s fine rolls (13th century):
And, even further back, here are the most-mentioned male names and female names in the Domesday book (11th century):
The last two lists may not represent the top given names of their time periods very accurately, but they do give you a sense of how given names in England have changed over time.