How popular is the baby name Romance in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Romance and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Romance.
Embarrassing baby names like Bland, Gross, Ham, Strange, Mutt and Oral.
Many of these have pop culture explanations. The ones I’ve blogged about so far are Bimbo, Chubby, Kookie, Twig, and Velveeta.
Here are some of the baby names that didn’t make the cut: Boomer, Bub, Bubber, Calamity, Cookie, Dainty, Danger, Demon, Fancy, Fester, Jinx, Less, Little, Manly, Notorious, Phuc, Pleasure, Rage, Riot, Savage, Sherlock, Sparky, Tarzan, Tiny.
If you know people who like baby name humor, please share!
See also: Overconfident Baby Names.
There weren’t many high-hitting boy name debuts on the SSA’s 2012 baby name list:
- Naksh, 28 baby boys
- Viaan, 23
- Shenouda, 21
- Tyrann, 15
- Dmoni, 14
- Ardan, 13
- Uwais, 13
- Kaydien, 12
- Arkan, 11
- Brettly, 11
- Maejor, 11
- Viyan, 11
Debut names from the 10-babies-and-under group include Wale, Banx, Finnick, Mayjor, Savage, Logic, Maijor, Pinches, Avrumy, Greatness, Grimm, Hawkeye, Truce, Anchor, Ducati, Great, Hsa, Iggy, Romance, Scholar, Sodbileg and Wulfric.
Where do these names come from?
Here are some possible explanations:
- Brettly – from reality show “American Restoration” cast member Brettly.
- Dmoni – variant of Domani, which jumped in usage in 2012. Domani is one of the kids on the reality TV show “T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle.”
- Finnick – from Hunger Games character Finnick Odair.
- Grimm – from TV drama “Grimm.”
- Hawkeye – from The Avengers character Hawkeye.
- Maejor, Maijor, Mayjor – variants of Major, which made big gains last year. Major is one of the kids on the reality TV show “T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle.”
- Naksh – from Indian TV drama “Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai,” in which characters Akshara (played by Hina Khan) and Naitik (played by Karan Mehra) have a baby boy named Naksh in early 2012.
- Shenouda – from Pope Shenouda III, Pope of the Church of Alexandria, who died March of 2012.
- Tyrann – from football player Tyrann Mathieu.
- Viaan, Viyan – from the son of Indian actress Shilpa Shetty. The baby was born in mid-2012.
- Wale – from rapper Wale. (His stage name is a short form of his birth name, Olubowale.)
Can you come up with explanations for any of the others?
Here’s last year’s debut list.
One thing I love about Quebec? Their yearly baby name list includes all baby names.
Not just names given to 5 or more babies, like the U.S. list. Not just names given to 3 or more babies, like the England and Wales list.
Every single name. Regardless of whether the name was given to hundreds of babies or just one.
Privacy: Who needs it! :)
Here are some stats on all those Quebec names:
- 7,921 boy names total
- 6,107 (77%) of them were given to 1 baby boy
- 7121 (90%) of them were given to 1, 2, 3 or 4 baby boys*
- 9,074 girl names total
- 6,686 (74%) of them were given to 1 baby girl
- 8058 (89%) of them were given to 1, 2, 3 or 4 baby girls*
*So, if the names given to 5+ babies in Quebec account for only about 10% of the names on the full list, and we assume baby name distribution in the U.S. is similar, the “full” U.S. lists should contain over 140,000 boy names and over 190,000 girl names.
Here are some of Quebec’s unique names (used only once):
|Baby Girl Names
||Baby Boy Names
Grace Nono Dipita
Kayla de la Caridad
Orlanel Keriane Elsa
San San Jessica
Kenny S. Phacoly
Rani’ Konhra Katste
I had my eye out for Inuit names in particular.
Among the girl names given to two babies last year, I spotted both Chaya Mushka and Katniss.
P.S. Here are the Most Popular Baby Names in Quebec for 2012.