How popular is the baby name Salvador in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Salvador and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Salvador.
Irma Lopez Aurelio, a 28-year-old Mazatec woman who lives in the Mexican state of Oaxaca, went into labor on October 2.
She and her husband walked for an hour to get to the nearest medical clinic, located in the village of San Felipe Jalapa de Díaz. When they got there, though, they were denied help.
Two hours later, Irma gave birth on the clinic’s lawn.
A witness snapped a picture of Lopez and her baby boy seconds after birth, and the photo ended up on the front page of the newspaper La Razón de México, along with the headline “Hospital de Oaxaca obliga a indígena a dar a luz en el pasto” (Oaxaca hospital forces indigenous woman to give birth in the grass).
What did Irma decide to name her baby boy?
Lopez said she named her son Salvador, which means “Savior” in English.
“He really saved himself,” she said.
After the birth, Irma and the baby were admitted to the clinic (finally). They were released the same day.
The director of the clinic, Dr. Adrian Cruz, has since been suspended.
Source: Director of Mexican clinic suspended a week after pregnant woman denied care, forced to give birth outside facility
The SSA has re-ordered the top 500 (or so) most popular baby names by rank change. According to these lists, the boy and girl names that decreased the most in terms of rank from 2010 to 2011 were these:
- Brisa, -343 (464th to 807th)
- Dana, -147 (463rd to 610th)
- Desiree, -121 (473rd to 594th)
- Denise, -114 (489th to 603rd)
- Kimora, -109 (498th to 607th)
- Brenda, -104 (426th to 530th)
- Erika, -103 (429th to 532nd)
- Miley, -99 (217th to 316th)
- Danna, -98 (267th to 365th)
- Janiya, -91 (448th to 539th)
- Brett, -119 (389th to 508th)
- Jamarion, -112 (475th to 587th)
- Shaun, -105 (483rd to 588th)
- Jaydon, -100 (492nd to 592nd)
- Nickolas, -86 (465th to 551st)
- Brenden, -81 (382nd to 463rd)
- Davion, -76 (474th to 550th)
- Braiden, -76 (468th to 544th)
- Salvador, -75 (457th to 532nd)
- Braeden, -67 (409th to 476th)
To know which names fell the most overall, check out my follow-up posts Biggest Changes in Girl Name Popularity, 2011 and Biggest Changes in Boy Name Popularity, 2011.