How popular is the baby name Scholar in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Scholar and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Scholar.
Overconfident baby names like Classy, Epic, Majestic, Handsome and Einstein.
The ones I’ve blogged about so far are Envy, Foxy, Suave and Unique.
Here are some of the baby names that didn’t make the cut: Aristotle, Artist, Boss, Brave, Couture, Czar, Dandy, Emperor, Fancy, Fantasy, Great, Hercules, Legacy, Ninja, Peerless, Pride, Pristine, Ritzy, Romeo, Royalty, Sassy.
If you know anyone who appreciates baby name humor, please share!
See also: Embarrassing Baby Names.
There weren’t many high-hitting boy name debuts on the SSA’s 2012 baby name list:
- Naksh, 28 baby boys
- Viaan, 23
- Shenouda, 21
- Tyrann, 15
- Dmoni, 14
- Ardan, 13
- Uwais, 13
- Kaydien, 12
- Arkan, 11
- Brettly, 11
- Maejor, 11
- Viyan, 11
Debut names from the 10-babies-and-under group include Wale, Banx, Finnick, Mayjor, Savage, Logic, Maijor, Pinches, Avrumy, Greatness, Grimm, Hawkeye, Truce, Anchor, Ducati, Great, Hsa, Iggy, Romance, Scholar, Sodbileg and Wulfric.
Where do these names come from?
Here are some possible explanations:
- Brettly – from reality show “American Restoration” cast member Brettly.
- Dmoni – variant of Domani, which jumped in usage in 2012. Domani is one of the kids on the reality TV show “T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle.”
- Finnick – from Hunger Games character Finnick Odair.
- Grimm – from TV drama “Grimm.”
- Hawkeye – from The Avengers character Hawkeye.
- Maejor, Maijor, Mayjor – variants of Major, which made big gains last year. Major is one of the kids on the reality TV show “T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle.”
- Naksh – from Indian TV drama “Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai,” in which characters Akshara (played by Hina Khan) and Naitik (played by Karan Mehra) have a baby boy named Naksh in early 2012.
- Shenouda – from Pope Shenouda III, Pope of the Church of Alexandria, who died March of 2012.
- Tyrann – from football player Tyrann Mathieu.
- Viaan, Viyan – from the son of Indian actress Shilpa Shetty. The baby was born in mid-2012.
- Wale – from rapper Wale. (His stage name is a short form of his birth name, Olubowale.)
Can you come up with explanations for any of the others?
Here’s last year’s debut list.