How popular is the baby name Shardae in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Shardae and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Shardae.
Here’s the second-to-last installment of the top baby name debuts for girls. No more ties from here on out.
From 20 to 11:
- Azure debuted with 121 baby girls in 1975.
Inspired by Azure Dee, a character on the TV detective series “Kojak.” (Or by the song “Azure Dee,” inspired by the character and sung by Telly Savalas for that particular episode.)
- Sharde debuted with 124 baby girls in 1985.
Inspired by singer Sade [shah-DAY].
- Shardae debuted with 129 baby girls in 1985.
Same reason as #19.
- Yamilex debuted with 130 baby girls in 1995.
Inspired by Jamilex, a character on the telenovela “Como Tu, Ninguna.”
- Chastelyn debuted with 150 baby girls in 2009.
Inspired by Chastelyn Rodriguez, a contestant on the TV beauty pageant “Nuestra Belleza Latina 2009.”
- Jacqueli debuted with 157 baby girls in 1989.
Same reason as #15.
- Toccara debuted with 182 baby girls in 1981.
Inspired by the Avon perfume Toccara.
- Yaire debuted with 184 baby girls in 2001.
Inspired by singer Yaire.
- Ajee debuted with 185 baby girls in 1994.
Inspired by the Revlon perfume Ajee.
Several of the names above foreshadow some of the names on tomorrow’s top 10 list.
Care to make any guesses about the names in the top 10?
*The Top 50 Baby Name Debuts for Girls: 50-41, 40-31, 30-21, 20-11, 10-1*
I’ve already posted a year-by-year list of the top baby name debuts, but I thought it might be fun to look at top debut names decade-by-decade as well.
So let’s start with the ’80s.
Here are all the “100+” debut names of the 1980s. Each went from being given to fewer than 5 babies a year to suddenly being given to more than 100 babies in one particular year. (I’m ignoring the glitch names of ’89.)
- Sade: 392 baby girls in 1985
- Fallon: 232 baby girls in 1981
- Toccara: 182 baby girls in 1981
- Cordero: 173 baby boys in 1986
- Khiry: 158 baby boys in 1989
- Shardae: 129 baby girls in 1985
- Sharde: 124 baby girls in 1985
- Jaleesa: 116 baby girls in 1987
- Sharday: 100 baby girls in 1985
Not surprisingly, all nine can be traced back to pop culture:
- Sade, Shardae, Sharde & Sharday were inspired by Sade.
- Fallon was inspired by Dynasty.
- Toccara was inspired by Toccara perfume.
- Cordero was inspired by soap opera One Life to Live.
- Khiry was inspired by The Boys.
- Jaleesa was inspired by A Different World.
Which decade should we do next?
I’ve saved the best for last!
Each of these baby names made the U.S. top 1,000 list exactly once — sometime during the 1980s.
- Audriana ranked 864th in 1989
- Audrianna ranked 760th in 1989
- Britta ranked 861st in 1986
- Brittnay ranked 935th in 1989
- Cherrelle ranked 879th in 1986 – influence: singer Cherrelle
- Cristen ranked 970th in 1982
- Diandra ranked 904th in 1988
- Dwan ranked 877th in 1983
- Evita ranked 775th in 1981 – influence: Broadway musical Evita
- Grecia ranked 979th in 1988
- Grisel ranked 784th in 1984
- Jalissa ranked 969th in 1988 – influence: TV show A Different World
- Jenilee ranked 820th in 1982
- Joi ranked 911th in 1981
- Kyrie ranked 960th in 1986
- Latoyia ranked 899th in 1981
- Martine ranked 794th in 1981
- Nereida ranked 984th in 1981
- Renada ranked 706th in 1980
- Sable ranked 904th in 1986
- Shardae ranked 834th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Sharde ranked 875th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Sharday ranked 938th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Shatara ranked 991st in 1986
- Shenna ranked 861st in 1984
- Shira ranked 988th in 1985 – influence: She-Ra: Princess of Power
- Taja ranked 727th in 1988 – influence: Taja Sevelle
- Tashina ranked 900th in 1981
- Teela ranked 872nd in 1984 – influence: TV show He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Tenika ranked 949th in 1982
- Violeta ranked 965th in 1985
- Tai ranked 937th in 1980
- Adalberto ranked 918th in 1981
- Brantley ranked 985th in 1988
- Cordaro ranked 908th in 1987 – influence: soap opera One Life to Live
- Geraldo ranked 889th in 1998 – influence: Geraldo Rivera
- Horacio ranked 995th in 1980
- Hung ranked 957th in 1982
- Huy ranked 997th in 1982
- Joseluis ranked 970th in 1987
- Marchello ranked 844th in 1981
- Tavaris ranked 994th in 1984
- Trumaine ranked 952nd in 1983
There are actually a few more one-hits from this decade, but they’re a little different. I’ll talk about them tomorrow.
UPDATE: Here they are! The Great Baby Name Glitch of 1989 – Christop, Alexandr, Elizabet
All one-hit wonder lists: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.