How popular is the baby name Sharday in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Sharday and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Sharday.
And now for the third installment of the top baby name debuts for girls.
From 30 to 21:
Aideliz, Rosangelica & Unnamed, 3-way tie for #30
- Aideliz debuted with 91 baby girls in 2008.
Inspired by Aideliz Hidalgo, a contestant on the TV beauty pageant “Nuestra Belleza Latina 2008.”
- Rosangelica debuted with 91 baby girls in 1993.
Inspired by Rosangelica, a character on the telenovela “Rosangelica.”
- Unnamed debuted with 91 baby girls in 1989.
No inspiration; possibly related to the great baby name glitch of 1989.
- Alliyah debuted with 94 baby girls in 1994.
Inspired by singer Aaliyah.
Greydis & Sharday, 2-way tie for #28
- Greydis debuted with 100 baby girls in 2009.
Inspired by Greydis Gil, winner of the TV beauty pageant “Nuestra Belleza Latina 2009.”
- Sharday debuted with 100 baby girls in 1985.
Inspired by singer Sade [shah-DAY].
- Torey debuted with 102 baby girls in 1959.
Inspired by the TV sitcom “Peck’s Bad Girl.”
- Tennille debuted with 103 baby girls in 1975.
Inspired by the duo Captain & Tennille.
- Izamar debuted with 107 baby girls in 1990.
Inspired by Isamar Medina, a character on the telenovela “La Revancha.”
- Kelis debuted with 108 baby girls in 2000.
Inspired by singer Kelis.
- Jaleesa debuted with 116 baby girls in 1987.
Inspired by Jaleesa Vinson, a character on the TV sitcom “A Different World.”
- Turkessa debuted with 119 baby girls in 1975.
Inspired by Turkessa (b. 1975), baby of Supremes singer Mary Wilson.
The final two groups of ten are coming up tomorrow and Friday. Stay tuned!
*The Top 50 Baby Name Debuts for Girls: 50-41, 40-31, 30-21, 20-11, 10-1*
I’ve already posted a year-by-year list of the top baby name debuts, but I thought it might be fun to look at top debut names decade-by-decade as well.
So let’s start with the ’80s.
Here are all the “100+” debut names of the 1980s. Each went from being given to fewer than 5 babies a year to suddenly being given to more than 100 babies in one particular year. (I’m ignoring the glitch names of ’89.)
- Sade: 392 baby girls in 1985
- Fallon: 232 baby girls in 1981
- Toccara: 182 baby girls in 1981
- Cordero: 173 baby boys in 1986
- Khiry: 158 baby boys in 1989
- Shardae: 129 baby girls in 1985
- Sharde: 124 baby girls in 1985
- Jaleesa: 116 baby girls in 1987
- Sharday: 100 baby girls in 1985
Not surprisingly, all nine can be traced back to pop culture:
- Sade, Shardae, Sharde & Sharday were inspired by Sade.
- Fallon was inspired by Dynasty.
- Toccara was inspired by Toccara perfume.
- Cordero was inspired by soap opera One Life to Live.
- Khiry was inspired by The Boys.
- Jaleesa was inspired by A Different World.
Which decade should we do next?
Each of these baby names made the U.S. top 1,000 list exactly once — sometime during the 1980s.
- Audriana – ranked 864th in 1989
- Audrianna – ranked 760th in 1989
- Britta – ranked 861st in 1986
- Brittnay – ranked 935th in 1989
- Cherrelle – ranked 879th in 1986 (influence: singer Cherrelle)
- Cristen – ranked 970th in 1982
- Diandra – ranked 904th in 1988
- Dwan – ranked 877th in 1983
- Evita – ranked 775th in 1981 (influence: Broadway musical Evita)
- Grecia – ranked 979th in 1988
- Grisel – ranked 784th in 1984
- Jalissa – ranked 969th in 1988 (influence: TV show A Different World)
- Jenilee – ranked 820th in 1982
- Joi – ranked 911th in 1981
- Kyrie – ranked 960th in 1986
- Latoyia – ranked 899th in 1981
- Martine – ranked 794th in 1981
- Nereida – ranked 984th in 1981
- Renada – ranked 706th in 1980
- Sable – ranked 904th in 1986
- Shardae – ranked 834th in 1986 (influence: singer Sade)
- Sharde – ranked 875th in 1986 (influence: singer Sade)
- Sharday – ranked 938th in 1986 (influence: singer Sade)
- Shatara – ranked 991st in 1986
- Shenna – ranked 861st in 1984
- Shira – ranked 988th in 1985 (influence: cartoon She-Ra: Princess of Power)
- Taja – ranked 727th in 1988 (influence: Taja Sevelle)
- Tashina – ranked 900th in 1981
- Teela – ranked 872nd in 1984 (influence: cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe)
- Tenika – ranked 949th in 1982
- Violeta – ranked 965th in 1985
- Tai – ranked 937th in 1980
- Adalberto – ranked 918th in 1981
- Brantley – ranked 985th in 1988
- Cordaro – ranked 908th in 1987 (influence: soap opera One Life to Live)
- Geraldo – ranked 889th in 1998 (influence: Geraldo Rivera)
- Horacio – ranked 995th in 1980
- Hung – ranked 957th in 1982
- Huy – ranked 997th in 1982
- Joseluis – ranked 970th in 1987
- Marchello – ranked 844th in 1981
- Tavaris – ranked 994th in 1984
- Trumaine – ranked 952nd in 1983
There are actually a few more one-hits from this decade — I call them them the Glitch Names of 1989. I’ll talk more about them tomorrow.
Want more one-hit wonders? Here are…
- All the top-1,000 one-hit wonder baby names, decade by decade: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2005.
- Some interesting full-list one-hit wonder baby names, from all decades (this list is always growing): One Hit Wonder Baby Names.