How popular is the baby name Skallagrimur in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Skallagrimur and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Skallagrimur.
Welcome to the shortest day of the year!
The lack of sunlight is making things seem pretty grim outside, so today let’s check out some “grim” baby names.
Here are a few we’ve talked about already:
- The saint name Grimoaldus
- The recent Idaho baby name Grimsley
- The rejected Icelandic name Skallagrimur
- The 2012 debut name Grimm
- The early Boston name Grimstone
- The ever-name Evergrim
- The Domesday Book names Alfgrim, Arngrim, Fargrim, Grim, Grimbald, Grimbert, Grimkel, Grimulf, Hafgrim, Hundgrim, Kolgrim, Madalgrim, Moregrim, Mulagrim, Mylnugrim, Odhgrim, Ordgrim, Segrim, Steingrimr, Thorgrim and Ulfgrim
And here are 10 more rare-but-legit personal names with the word “grim” in them. All of these come from surnames:
Speaking of Grimwood…several successive generations of boys in the Death (or De’Ath) family of Suffolk, England, were named Grimwood — “Grimwood Death.” Grimmest name of them all, perhaps?
Do you know of any other good grim-names?
The recent news about the Icelandic girl named Blær reminds me…
Did you know that the Mannanafnanefnd, Iceland’s Personal Names Committee, puts its baby name rulings online? Every acceptance and rejection going back to 2001 is available.
One particularly interesting ruling is the split decision that happened in late 2008 over the name Skallagrímur, which was ultimately rejected.
But the Mannanafnanefnd’s rulings are in Icelandic, and if you don’t read Icelandic, well, they’re a bit hard to make out. :) So, to make it easier, here are current lists of Iceland’s approved and rejected baby names:
- Approved boy names include Dagmann, Gunnar, Krummi, Rasmus, Sigurkarl & Yngvi
- Approved girl names include Baldvina, Freyja, Hrafntinna, Otkatla, Tristana & Vala
- Approved middle names include Austdal, Finndal, Gnurr, Öxdal, Storm & Víking
- Rejected names (boys, girls & middles) include Ben, Dominic, Harriet, Jennifer, Liam & Yasmin
Over 1,700 boy names and over 1,800 girl names have been given the Iceland’s stamp of approval so far.
Sources: I ain’t the only one who loves names!, Icelandic Name Committee Reaches Rare Split Decision
UPDATED, 7/9/14 – The government of Iceland now has a separate website for approved and rejected baby names. I’ve just updated all the links.