- 1979: unlisted
- 1978: unlisted
- 1977: 7 baby girls named Sommers [debut]
- 1976: unlisted
- 1975: unlisted
What put Sommers on the map?
The popular TV show The Bionic Woman (1976-1978), which featured a main character named Jaime Sommers (played by Lindsay Wagner).
The character originated on an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man* called “The Bionic Woman.” In that episode, Jaime was severely injured in a skydiving accident. She ended up with bionic legs, a bionic right arm, and a bionic right ear that gave her superhuman speed, strength, and hearing.
In the spin-off series, she put her new abilities to use by going on dangerous missions for the government.
- 1978: 4,002 baby girls named Jaime [rank: 71st]
- 1977: 5,906 baby girls named Jaime [rank: 46th]
- 1976: 7,836 baby girls named Jaime [rank: 29th]
- 1975: 915 baby girls named Jaime [rank: 263rd]
- 1974: 260 baby girls named Jaime [rank: 606th]
In fact, I remember quoting a person named after Jaime Sommers in name quote post a few years ago.
So what are your thoughts on the rare name Sommers? Would you use it? (How about the slightly more common Summers?)