How popular is the baby name Starship in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Starship and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Starship.
We know there are people out there named after Bon Jovi, Danity Kane and Roxette. Even Starship. So how about Jodeci?
Yup. In 1990, the four-man R&B group Jodeci was formed by Joel “JoJo” Hailey, Donald “DeVante Swing” DeGrate, Dalvin “Mr. Dalvin” DeGrate, and Cedric “K-Ci” Hailey. The name of the band was pieced together from the the jo of JoJo, the de of DeGrate, and the ci of K-Ci.
Jodeci’s first album, the successful Forever My Lady, was released in 1991. Sure enough, that’s the year we start seeing babies named Jodeci:
- 1996: 29 girls, 13 boys named Jodeci
- 1995: 32 girls, 15 boys named Jodeci
- 1994: 19 girls, 23 boys named Jodeci
- 1993: 33 girls, 29 boys named Jodeci
- 1992: 77 girls, 94 boys named Jodeci
- 1991: 13 girls, 12 boys named Jodeci [debut]
- 1990: unlisted
The group put out a second album in 1993, a third in 1995, then went on hiatus in 1996. After they stopped releasing new material, usage of the name declined.
A related name that was used around this time was K-Ci:
- 2001: unlisted
- 2000: 6 boys named K-Ci
- 1999: 6 boys named K-Ci
- 1998: 5 boys named K-Ci
- 1997: unlisted
- 1996: unlisted
- 1995: 7 boys named K-Ci [debut]
- 1994: unlisted
This one was helped along by the band K-Ci & JoJo, formed by two Jodeci members around 1996.
The names Jodeci and K-Ci may be down, but don’t count them out. In about a month, a reality TV show starring K-Ci and JoJo will premiere on TVOne. Also, there’s a talented high school football player out there named Jodeci Mays. (He scored seven touchdowns a couple of weeks ago.) Visibility often leads to usage, so the TV show and/or the athlete could help revive the names, you never know…
Here are some strange names I found in an article (Marijuana Pepsi will see you now) published just a few days ago:
- Apocalipsis (female)
- Crystal Sunshine Turpin Lemons (female), who happens to be on Facebook
- Cupcake (female)
- Drift Wood (female), sister of Timber (see below)
- Marijuana Pepsi (female), who has sisters with the very normal names Kimberly and Robin
- Mighty Fine (male)
- Tahiti Starship (female), who says: “My parents were hippies. They said they were dreaming of Tahiti. And they named me Starship after the band.”
- Timber Wood (male), brother of Drift (see above)
- Yellow Light (male), who I’ve blogged about before
Here’s how Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer, who managed to overcome her name and accomplish some very cool things, got her name:
Sawyer’s aunt, Mayetta Jackson of Chicago, clearly remembers when the name was picked in 1972. The newborn’s mother and father were products of the post-Woodstock era when reefer was rampant.
“And they would cool off with a Pepsi,” she said, which makes you think it’s lucky for Sawyer that it wasn’t Coke instead. “I thought it was crazy,” her aunt said about the name, “but they were such fun-loving people that it suited them.”
She’s called “Pepsi” by friends and family.
Source: A woman named Marijuana plays it straight – and wins