The television-inspired name Gotham was the top debut name for baby boys in 2015.
In order for a rare baby name to debut on the Social Security Administration’s annual baby name list, it has to be given to at least 5 U.S. babies of either one gender or the other within a given year.
Of all the boy names that debuted in 2015, the following were the most popular:
And a handful from the 10-and-under group: Princeamir, Salix, Maxxis, Mendeecee, Kingmessiah, Mowgli, Nirvik, Obsa, Stoic, Baelfire, Jotaro, Precieux, Axiom, Ayoola, Bilol, Fennec, Finland, Flex, Jesco, Mayceon, Neemias, Vegeta.
Where do the names above come from? Here are some explanations:
- Gotham – from the Batman-based TV show Gotham, on the air since mid-2014.
- Mendeecee – from Mendeecees Harris of Love & Hip Hop: New York.
- Mowgli – from the Jungle Book character.
- Baelfire – from the Once Upon a Time character.
- Vegeta – from the Dragon Ball character.
Can you come up with explanations for any of the others?
Here are the top boy name debuts of 2014.
U.S. Baby Names 2015: Most Popular Baby Names, Top Debuts: Girl Names, Top Debuts: Boy Names, Biggest Changes in Popularity: Girl Names, Biggest Changes in Popularity: Boy Names, First Letter Popularity, Name Length Popularity