How popular is the baby name Teela in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Teela and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Teela.
Remember the ’80s cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe?
I haven’t yet found any ’80s babies named after He-Man, but I’ve found a bunch with names inspired by Teela and She-Ra — two other popular characters from the Masters of the Universe franchise.
He-Man premiered on TV in 1983. The main female character was Teela — daughter of the Sorceress, foster-daughter of Man-At-Arms, and protector/friend of Prince Adam (a.k.a. He-Man).
In 1984, usage of the baby name Teela spiked high enough for the name to reach the top 1,000 for the first and only time:
- 1986: 49 babies named Teela
- 1985: 145 babies named Teela
- 1984: 175 babies named Teela [rank: 872nd]
- 1983: 27 babies named Teela
- 1982: 13 babies named Teela
- 1981: 5 babies named Teela
The cartoon She-Ra: Princess of Power was a spin-off of He-Man that premiered in 1985 (the same year as Jem). She-Ra was the alter ego of Princess Adora, twin sister of Prince Adam.
Right away, usage of the baby name Shera nearly tripled:
- 1988: 44 baby girls named Shera
- 1987: 63 baby girls named Shera
- 1986: 135 baby girls named Shera
- 1985: 120 baby girls named Shera
- 1984: 42 baby girls named Shera
- 1983: 31 baby girls named Shera
The SSA omits hyphens and makes all internal letters lower-case, so unfortunately there’s no easy way to find out how many of these babies got the specific name “She-Ra.” (We know they exist, though: Mental Floss recently spotted a lady in the UK named She-Ra.)
I’m guessing the She-Ra upswing was both more immediate and less impressive than the Teela upswing (286% vs. 648%) because, while She-Ra was a titular character (whose name viewers would have picked up on right away) her spin-off series didn’t quite achieve the same level popularity that the original series did.
Which ’80s cartoon-lady baby name do you like more, Teela or She-Ra?
Each of these baby names made the U.S. top 1,000 list exactly once — sometime during the 1980s.
- Audriana – ranked 864th in 1989
- Audrianna – ranked 760th in 1989
- Britta – ranked 861st in 1986
- Brittnay – ranked 935th in 1989
- Cherrelle – ranked 879th in 1986 (influence: singer Cherrelle)
- Cristen – ranked 970th in 1982
- Diandra – ranked 904th in 1988
- Dwan – ranked 877th in 1983
- Evita – ranked 775th in 1981 (influence: Broadway musical Evita)
- Grecia – ranked 979th in 1988
- Grisel – ranked 784th in 1984
- Jalissa – ranked 969th in 1988 (influence: TV show A Different World)
- Jenilee – ranked 820th in 1982
- Joi – ranked 911th in 1981
- Kyrie – ranked 960th in 1986
- Latoyia – ranked 899th in 1981
- Martine – ranked 794th in 1981
- Nereida – ranked 984th in 1981
- Renada – ranked 706th in 1980
- Sable – ranked 904th in 1986
- Shardae – ranked 834th in 1986 (influence: singer Sade)
- Sharde – ranked 875th in 1986 (influence: singer Sade)
- Sharday – ranked 938th in 1986 (influence: singer Sade)
- Shatara – ranked 991st in 1986
- Shenna – ranked 861st in 1984
- Shira – ranked 988th in 1985 (influence: cartoon She-Ra: Princess of Power)
- Taja – ranked 727th in 1988 (influence: Taja Sevelle)
- Tashina – ranked 900th in 1981
- Teela – ranked 872nd in 1984 (influence: cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe)
- Tenika – ranked 949th in 1982
- Violeta – ranked 965th in 1985
- Tai – ranked 937th in 1980
- Adalberto – ranked 918th in 1981
- Brantley – ranked 985th in 1988
- Cordaro – ranked 908th in 1987 (influence: soap opera One Life to Live)
- Geraldo – ranked 889th in 1998 (influence: Geraldo Rivera)
- Horacio – ranked 995th in 1980
- Hung – ranked 957th in 1982
- Huy – ranked 997th in 1982
- Joseluis – ranked 970th in 1987
- Marchello – ranked 844th in 1981
- Tavaris – ranked 994th in 1984
- Trumaine – ranked 952nd in 1983
There are actually a few more one-hits from this decade — I call them them the Glitch Names of 1989. I’ll talk more about them tomorrow.
Want more one-hit wonders? Here are…
- All the top-1,000 one-hit wonder baby names, decade by decade: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2005.
- Some interesting full-list one-hit wonder baby names, from all decades (this list is always growing): One Hit Wonder Baby Names.