How popular is the baby name Teela in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Teela and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Teela.
Remember the ’80s cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe?
I haven’t yet found any ’80s babies named after He-Man, but I’ve found a bunch with names inspired by Teela and She-Ra — two other popular characters from the Masters of the Universe franchise.
He-Man premiered on TV in 1983. The main female character was Teela — daughter of the Sorceress, foster-daughter of Man-At-Arms, and protector/friend of Prince Adam (a.k.a. He-Man).
In 1984, usage of the baby name Teela spiked high enough for the name to reach the top 1,000 for the first and only time:
- 1986: 49 babies named Teela
- 1985: 145 babies named Teela
- 1984: 175 babies named Teela [rank: 872nd]
- 1983: 27 babies named Teela
- 1982: 13 babies named Teela
- 1981: 5 babies named Teela
The cartoon She-Ra: Princess of Power was a spin-off of He-Man that premiered in 1985 (the same year as Jem). She-Ra was the alter ego of Princess Adora, twin sister of Prince Adam.
Right away, usage of the baby name Shera nearly tripled:
- 1988: 44 baby girls named Shera
- 1987: 63 baby girls named Shera
- 1986: 135 baby girls named Shera
- 1985: 120 baby girls named Shera
- 1984: 42 baby girls named Shera
- 1983: 31 baby girls named Shera
The SSA omits hyphens and makes all internal letters lower-case, so unfortunately there’s no easy way to find out how many of these babies got the specific name “She-Ra.” (We know they exist, though: Mental Floss recently spotted a lady in the UK named She-Ra.)
I’m guessing the She-Ra upswing was both more immediate and less impressive than the Teela upswing (286% vs. 648%) because, while She-Ra was a titular character (whose name viewers would have picked up on right away) her spin-off series didn’t quite achieve the same level popularity that the original series did.
Which ’80s cartoon-lady baby name do you like more, Teela or She-Ra?
I’ve saved the best for last!
Each of these baby names made the U.S. top 1,000 list exactly once — sometime during the 1980s.
- Audriana ranked 864th in 1989
- Audrianna ranked 760th in 1989
- Britta ranked 861st in 1986
- Brittnay ranked 935th in 1989
- Cherrelle ranked 879th in 1986
- Cristen ranked 970th in 1982
- Diandra ranked 904th in 1988
- Dwan ranked 877th in 1983
- Evita ranked 775th in 1981 – influence: Broadway musical Evita
- Grecia ranked 979th in 1988
- Grisel ranked 784th in 1984
- Jalissa ranked 969th in 1988 – influence: tv show A Different World
- Jenilee ranked 820th in 1982
- Joi ranked 911th in 1981
- Kyrie ranked 960th in 1986
- Latoyia ranked 899th in 1981
- Martine ranked 794th in 1981
- Nereida ranked 984th in 1981
- Renada ranked 706th in 1980
- Sable ranked 904th in 1986
- Shardae ranked 834th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Sharde ranked 875th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Sharday ranked 938th in 1986 – influence: singer Sade
- Shatara ranked 991st in 1986
- Shenna ranked 861st in 1984
- Shira ranked 988th in 1985 – influence: She-Ra: Princess of Power
- Taja ranked 727th in 1988 – influence: Taja Sevelle
- Tashina ranked 900th in 1981
- Teela ranked 872nd in 1984 – influence: tv show He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Tenika ranked 949th in 1982
- Violeta ranked 965th in 1985
- Tai ranked 937th in 1980
- Adalberto ranked 918th in 1981
- Brantley ranked 985th in 1988
- Cordaro ranked 908th in 1987 – influence: soap opera One Life to Live
- Geraldo ranked 889th in 1998 – influence: Geraldo Rivera
- Horacio ranked 995th in 1980
- Hung ranked 957th in 1982
- Huy ranked 997th in 1982
- Joseluis ranked 970th in 1987
- Marchello ranked 844th in 1981
- Tavaris ranked 994th in 1984
- Trumaine ranked 952nd in 1983
There are actually a few more one-hits from this decade, but they’re a little different. I’ll talk about them tomorrow.
UPDATE: Here they are! The Great Baby Name Glitch of 1989 – Christop, Alexandr, Elizabet
All one-hit wonder lists: 1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s.