Here are some of the top one-hit wonder girl names of all time, from 1880 to 2012:
- Alexandr, 301 baby girls in 1989.
- Jacqueli, 157 baby girls in 1989.
- Cassandr, 152 baby girls in 1989.
- Jacquely, 50 baby girls in 1989.
- Meghaan, 36 baby girls in 1984.
- Shastelyn, 34 baby girls in 2009.
- Charnissa, 32 baby girls in 1974.
- Jocell, 31 baby girls in 2011.
- Yaindhi, 29 baby girls in 2008.
- Shadava, 25 baby girls in 1983.
- Russchelle, 24 baby girls in 1975.
- Yoshigei, 21 baby girls in 2006.
- Francesc, 19 baby girls in 1989.
If we ignore all the 1989 names — which are only truncated spelling variants caused by the great baby name glitch of 1989 — the real #1 one-hit wonder becomes Meghaan.
Here’s what I can tell you about some of the above: Shastelyn, Jocell, Madelis and Raengel were inspired by Mexican beauty queens; Aidsa and Yaindhi were inspired by the TV show Objectivo Fama; Eshanti was inspired by singer Ashanti; Nykeba was inspired by a mention in Ebony magazine.
Can you come up with explanations for any of the others?