How popular is the baby name Zack in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Zack and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Zack.
Malta’s top baby names of 2015 have been out for months now, but the latest data still isn’t available on the government’s Naming Babies page, so I can’t give you the official rankings.
The best I can do is this quote from a recent Times of Malta article:
Amy, Ella, Leah, Maya, Valentina, Emma, Martina, Jade, Julia, Elisa and Elena are among the most popular for girls […] Luca, Matthias, Adam, Ben, Benjamin, Beppe, Alexander, Thomas, Zack, Liam, Luke and Noah are among the most popular for boys.
The article also mentioned many of the less common names bestowed in Malta in 2015, including:
- Alix (the Maltese version of Alex)
- Delyth (“which in Welsh means neat and pretty, but when read with a Maltese pronunciation it means, err, murder”)
- Jack Daniel (similar to this guy)
- Massa (“after Felipe Massa, the Brazilian Formula One driver”)
- Mixhal (the Maltese version of Michelle)
- Tenishia (“after the internationally renowned Maltese DJ duo”)
- Xemx (the Maltese word for “sun,” pronounced shemsh)
Malta’s top names of 2014 were Elena and Luke (more or less).
Source: Hi, Jack Daniel, It’s me, Xemx – Malta’s list of baby names
According to data from Malta’s National Statistics Office, the most popular name-groups in Malta in 2014 were Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella and Luke/Luca/Lucas.
Here are Malta’s top 10 girl and boy name-groups of 2014:
- Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella, 97 baby girls
- Julia/Yulia/Julianne, 72
- Emma/Emmanuela/Ema, 70
- Eliza/Elisa/Elizabeth/Elise, 69
- Catherine/Katrina/Kate/Katya, 46
- Maya/Mia/Myah, 44
- Lea/Leah/Leia, 42
- Emilia/Emily/Emelie, 41
- Amy/Aimee, 39
- Maria/Marija/Mariah/Marie, 37 [tie]
- Anna/Hannah/Ann, 37 [tie]
- Luke/Luca/Lucas, 98 baby boys
- Matthew/Matthias/Matteo, 97
- Jacob/Jake, 77
- Zachary/Zak/Zack, 59
- Michael/Miguel/Mikhail, 53
- Liam/William, 51 [tie]
- John/Jean/Jonathan/Juan/Gan, 51 [tie]
- Benjamin/Ben, 51
- Kaiden/Kayden/Kai ,46 [tie]
- Alexander/Alessandro/Alec, 46 [tie]
- Andrew/Andreas/Andre/Andy, 45
- Joseph/Beppe/Giuseppe/Josef, 40
Down in 15th place on the boys’ side is “Yannick/Yan” — both are versions of John, and yet they’re not part of the John group, which is tied for 6th.
Speaking of strange things…
The current Maltese birth registration system does not allow for Maltese fonts, which essentially means that names with ċ such as Ċikku or Ċensa; with a ġ such as Ġorġ or Ġanna; and with a ż such as Liża or Ġużi, are out – or at least will be recorded without the essential dots which distinguish the Maltese phonetical sound.
I’ve seen governments (e.g., NWT, California) make excuses about not being able to render minority/ethnic names properly on birth certificates, but I’ve never heard of a country that couldn’t render names from its own national language.
Here are the 2013, 2012, 2009, 2007 and 2006 rankings.
Sources: Naming Babies – National Statistics Office – Malta, Luke and Elena remain most popular names given to newborns, ‘Dotty’ system bars patriot baby names
Malta’s top baby names of 2013 came out a few weeks ago.
According to data from the National Statistics Office, the most popular name-groups last year were Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella and Luke/Luca/Lucas.
Here are Malta’s top 20 girl name-groups and top 20 boy name-groups of 2013:
- Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella, 106 baby girls (5.5% of all girls)
- Eliza/Elisa/Elizabeth/Elise, 78 (4.0%)
- Julia/Yulia/Julianne, 69 (3.6%)
- Emma/Emmanuela/Ema, 51 (2.6%)
- Maya/Mia/Myah, 47 (2.4%)
- Maria/Marija/Mariah/Marie, 42 (2.2%)
- Lea/Leah/Leia, 37 (1.9%)
- Martina/Martine, 36 (1.9%)
- Christina/Christa/Christabel/Krystle, 35 (1.8%)
- Kailey/Kai/Kaleigh, 34 (1.8%)
- Catherine/Katrina/Kate/Katya, 34 (1.8%)
- Emilia/Emily/Emelie, 34 (1.8%)
- Amy/Aimee, 32 (1.6%)
- Anna/Hannah/Ann, 31 (1.6%)
- Mikela/Makaila/Michelle, 27 (1.4%)
- Alison/Alice/Alicia/Alyssa/Aly, 27 (1.4%)
- Sophia/Sophie, 26 (1.3%)
- Jade/Giada, 22 (1.1%)
- Alexandra/Alessia/Alexia/Lexi, 22 (1.1%)
- Aaliyah/Alaya, 21 (1.1%)
- Chloe/Khloe, 20 (1.0%)
- Amber/Amberley, 20 (1.0%)
- Karla/Carla/Carly, 20 (1.0%)
- Jasmine/Yasmine/Yasmeen, 17 (0.9%)
- Nina, 17 (0.9%)
- Faith, 17 (0.9%)
- Hailey/Hailee/Hayleigh, 16 (0.8%)
- Nicole/Nicola/Nicky, 14 (0.7%)
- Rachel/Raquel, 14 (0.7%)
- Keira/Kyra, 14 (0.7%)
- Claire/Clara/Clarisse, 14 (0.7%)
- Luke/Luca/Lucas, 106 baby boys (5% of all boys)
- Matthew/Matthias/Matteo, 93 (4.4%)
- Jacob/Jake, 70 (3.3%)
- Zachary/Zak/Zack, 56 (2.6%)
- John/Jean/Jonathan/Juan/Gan, 53 (2.5%)
- Michael/Miguel/Mikhail, 53 (2.5%)
- Andrew/Andreas/Andre/Andy, 46 (2.2%)
- Kaiden/Kayden/Kai, 45 (2.1%)
- Alexander/Alessandro/Alec, 45 (2.1%)
- Aiden/Ayden, 43 (2.0%)
- Liam/William, 42 (2.0%)
- Nicholas/Nick/Nicolai, 41 (1.9%)
- Benjamin/Ben, 40 (1.9%)
- Daniel/Dan/Danil, 33 (1.5%)
- Isaac/Izaak, 32 (1.5%)
- Mason/Maison, 32 (1.5%)
- Jack/Jackson/Jacques, 30 (1.4%)
- Jaden/Jayden/Jadon, 29 (1.4%)
- Thomas/Tommas/Tommy, 29 (1.4%)
- Nathan/Nathaniel, 28 (1.3%)
- Julian/Julien/Guiliano, 27 (1.3%)
- Gabriel/Gabrijel/Gabryl, 24 (1.1%)
- Adam, 24 (1.1%)
- Joseph/Beppe/Giuseppe/Josef, 23 (1.1%)
- Noah, 23 (1.1%)
- James/Jamie/Jayme, 22 (1.0%)
- Samuel/Sam, 22 (1.0%)
- Keiran/Kyran, 22 (1.0%)
Some of the unusual names registered in Malta last year were Aizley, Amporn, Breeze, Chinenye, Coco, Delson, Diyas, Enonima, Freedom, Gundula, Jaceyrhaer, Kobbun, Limoni, Love, Netsrik, Summer, Symphony, Zarkareia and Zveyrone.
Malta’s 2012 list was topped by Eliza/Lisa/Elsie/Elyse/Bettina and Matthew/Matthias/Matteo.
Sources: NSO – Naming Babies: 2013, Quality and Amporn top the list of unusual names
The most popular baby names in Malta were released back in May.
According to the National Statistics Office, the country’s top names (or name groups, actually) were Matthew/Matthias/Matteo for boys and Eliza/Lisa/Elsie/Elyse/Bettina for girls.
Here are Malta’s top 20 girl names and top 20 boy names of 2012:
|Baby Girl Names
||Baby Boy Names
1. Eliza/Lisa/Elsie/Elyse/Bettina, 98 baby girls
2. Elena/Elenia/Helena/Ella, 91
3. Julia/Yulia/Julianne, 67
4. Emma/Emmanuela/Ema, 54
5. Maya/Mia/Myah, 47
6. Lea/Leah/Leia, 46
7. Christina/Christa/Christabel/Krystle, 45
8. Mikela/Makaila/Michelle, 44
9. Chloe/Khloe, Maria/Marija/Mariah/Marie, 39 each [2-way tie]
10. Amy/Aimee, 37
11. Kailey/Kai/Kaleigh, 34
12. Martina/Martine, 32
13. Catherine/Katrina/Kate/Katya, 30
14. Jade/Giada, 28
15. Anna/Hannah/Ann, 27
16. Amber/Amberley, Sophia/Sophie, 24 each [2-way tie]
17. Jasmine/Yasmine/Yasmeen, Chanel/Shanelle, 23 each [2-way tie]
18. Emilia/Emily/Emelie, 21
19. Hailey/Hailee/Hayleigh, Alison/Alice/Alicia/Alyssa/Aly, Faith, 19 each [3-way tie]
20. Aaliyah/Alaya, 18
1. Matthew/Matthias/Matteo, 101 baby boys
2. Jacob/Jake, 98
3. Luke/Luca/Lucas, 87
4. Zachary/Zak/Zack, 58
5. Kaiden/Kayden/Kai, 56
6. John/Jean/Jonathan/Juan/Gan, 50
7. Aiden/Ayden, 47
8. Nathan/Nathaniel, 45
9. Isaac/Izaak, Liam/William, 43 each [2-way tie]
10. Alexander/Alessandro/Alec, 42
11. Benjamin/Ben, 40
12. Michael/Miguel/Mikhail, 39
13. Nicholas/Nick/Nicolai, 36
14. Jaden/Jayden/Jadon, Joseph/Beppe/Giuseppe/Josef, 35 each [2-way tie]
15. Daniel/Dan/Danil, 30
16. Yannick/Yan, Jack/Jackson/Jacques, Thomas/Tommas/Tommy, 29 each [3-way tie]
17. Mason/Maison, Kyle/Kail, Andrew/Andreas/Andre/Andy, 28 each [3-way tie]
18. James/Jamie/Jayme, 26
19. Gabriel/Gabrijel/Gabryl, 24
20. Julian/Julien/Guiliano, Denzel/Danzel/Denzilee, 22 each [2-way tie]
The 98 baby girls of the Eliza/Lisa/Elsie/Elyse/Bettina group represent 4.8% of all baby girls born in Malta in 2012, and the 101 baby boys of the Matthew/Matthias/Matteo group represent 4.6% of all baby boys.
I have three earlier Malta lists (2006, 2007, 2009) here at NBN, but there are even more (2002 through 2012, inclusive) at the NSO website — use the link below.
Source: Naming Babies: 2012 (NSO)
One thing I love about Quebec? Their yearly baby name list includes all baby names.
Not just names given to 5 or more babies, like the U.S. list. Not just names given to 3 or more babies, like the England and Wales list.
Every single name. Regardless of whether the name was given to hundreds of babies or just one.
Privacy: Who needs it! :)
Here are some stats on all those Quebec names:
- 7,921 boy names total
- 6,107 (77%) of them were given to 1 baby boy
- 7121 (90%) of them were given to 1, 2, 3 or 4 baby boys*
- 9,074 girl names total
- 6,686 (74%) of them were given to 1 baby girl
- 8058 (89%) of them were given to 1, 2, 3 or 4 baby girls*
*So, if the names given to 5+ babies in Quebec account for only about 10% of the names on the full list, and we assume baby name distribution in the U.S. is similar, the “full” U.S. lists should contain over 140,000 boy names and over 190,000 girl names.
Here are some of Quebec’s unique names (used only once):
|Baby Girl Names
||Baby Boy Names
Grace Nono Dipita
Kayla de la Caridad
Orlanel Keriane Elsa
San San Jessica
Kenny S. Phacoly
Rani’ Konhra Katste
I had my eye out for Inuit names in particular.
Among the girl names given to two babies last year, I spotted both Chaya Mushka and Katniss.
P.S. Here are the Most Popular Baby Names in Quebec for 2012.