Last year, the Canadian province of Alberta welcomed 49,030 babies — 25,160 boys and 23,870 girls.
What were the most popular names among these 2020 babies? Olivia and Noah.
Here are the top-10 lists by gender:
- Olivia, 236 baby girls
- Emma, 184
- Charlotte, 161
- Ava, 159
- Sophia, 151
- Amelia, 145
- Isla, 133
- Emily, 127
- Lily, 123
- Abigail, 114
- Noah, 239 baby boys
- Oliver, 229
- Liam, 206
- Benjamin, 182
- William, 178
- Jack, 169
- Lucas, 163
- Theodore, 159
- Levi, 153
- Owen, 152
In the girls’ top 10, Isla and Lily replaced Hannah and Elizabeth. In fact, Lily jumped all the way from 24th (in 2019) to 9th (in 2020).
In the boys’ top 10, Theodore and Levi replaced Ethan and Jacob. Levi, like Lily, saw a big jump from 27th (in 2019) to 9th (in 2020).
Rare baby names that were bestowed just once in Alberta last year include…
|Unique Girl Names||Unique Boy Names|
|Aztrellina, Bellashae, Chloezel, Dexy, Electrona, Franzene, Goldwyn, Hirtoli, Iskra-Maurize, Jenebith, Kalkidan, Kikasia, Kisik, Larkspur, Lithuli, Magaty, Mirgisee, Nannally, Nomvela, Obsinet, Pkachhouk, Pulcherie, Qaroo, Rhemalie, Rielle, Roanix, Silk-Nightsun, Slyzze, Somadina, Tezlokai, Trixene, Ulita, Vallyn, Wapikwanew, Wicanphi-Peta, Xeene, Yatika, Zintaya||Arctic, Boajor, Chinook, Cyomoro, Dazzlo, Discern, Edline, Fendt, Greysky, Hananiah, Iforel, Jryxx, Kikisepaw-Kihiw, Kjerrand, Kodiak, Lelouch, Marlgrae, Moyo, Naatósíniipi, Nufuri, Outlaw, Psalmson, Qifan, Rionzed, Running, Sikapiohkitopi, Sîktogeja, Skydancer, StormRyder, Taiga, Tonderai, Ulfbjorn, Valois, Wapikihew, Wembley, Xylatar, Ynno, Zeuxis-Finn|
Here are some explanations and/or potential influences for a few of the above:
- Pkachhouk, or pka chhouk, means “lotus” in Khmer (Cambodian). Pka by itself is the word for “flower.”
- Wapikwanew means “flower” in Cree.
- Kikisepaw-Kihiw — kikisepaw means “morning, dawn” and kihiw means “eagle” in Cree.
- Kjerrand is a Norwegian name ultimately derived from a Germanic name made up of elements meaning “army” and “rim, edge (of a shield).”
- Lelouch Lamperouge is an anime character.
- Sîktogeja means “wolf” in Nakoda.
- The Taiga is the coniferous forest of the subarctic.
- Valois (pronounced val-wa) was both a historical region and a historical royal house of France.
Finally, here are the 2019 rankings for Alberta, if you’d like to compare.