The movie-inspired Llewyn was the top debut name for baby boys in 2014.
Of all the boy names appearing for the very first time on a Social Security Administration baby name list in 2014, the following were the most popular:
1. Llewyn, 38 baby boys
2. Keylor, 34
3. Feynman, 15
4. Sanav, 15
5. Jadaveon, 14
6. Rudransh, 14
7. Cavani, 13
8. Haigen, 13
9. Amirali, 12
10. Kharson, 12
11. Teller, 12
13. Kavir, 11
14. Raynav, 11
15. Zacardi, 11
And a handful from the 10-and-under group: Crusoe, Adagio, Briggston/Brigston, Jetzael, Tyking, Voss, Coast, Cobalt, Flash, Liamgabriel, Roux, Acamas, Clutch, Kingcharles, Menachemmendel, Stallone, Winchester, Wrett, Bangaly, Billion, Cohutta, Knoxville, Legendary, Renegade, Rocker.
Where do the names above come from? Here are some explanations:
- Llewyn – from the Coen brothers’ film “Inside Llewyn Davis” (2013).
- Keylor – from Costa Rican footballer (goalkeeper) Keylor Navas, who made some notable saves during the 2014 World Cup.
- Jadaveon – from American football player Jadeveon Clowney, who was a first round draft pick in 2014.
- Cavani – from Uruguayan footballer (striker) Edinson Cavani, who also appeared in the 2014 World Cup.
- Zacardi – from Zacardi Cortez, American gospel musician, whose second album came out in 2014.
Can you come up with explanations for any of the others?
Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay